night vision scooe

Trever

My dad is wanting to solve some predator problems our place. We are over run with them. He is wanting nv scope and is asking me to head the project. I don't know enough about the industry to say either way. I know he wants to see clearly at 100 and fairy well at 200. Does anyone have any input on the matter.

if you want to see clearly at a 100 yards your sure going to have to skip the first and second gereration scopes and plan on spending about 3k on one that works. Those older ones will about let you see the outline of a deer at 50 yards.

I have a night optics d-760 with an illumination. Shy of going high res thermal, it's the best.

I have a Aries MK410 gen 1 which is good for about 70 yards maximum in total darkness. It's all right to set up over a dam or bait but make the rifle unwieldy. The magnification ain't great either, Gen 2 are a better again but not the $1500 difference when I bought mine, but you should really step up to gen 3 if you want to see that far. And make sure you have the magnification to get a good hit at that range too, mine claims 5x but looks more like 2.5x.
FLIR's are fantastic at detecting animals but trying to work out what is the animal you are looking at can sometimes be difficult same as gen1 NV. That's my experience for what it's worth.
There's one that mounts on the front of a normal scope I think it's a pulsar DFA75 that has me quite interested but don't know how good it is.

There's a big difference between NV and Thermal, and their applications. We had all the best gen 3 NV, and some pretty good FLIR thermal stuff. After playing with both we have decided to upgrade the thermal, and ditch the NV. The main reason was already mentioned in a prior post.....even with gen 3 NV it's difficult to determine whether your shooting at a fox or small coyote at a few hundred yards.
I would not want to be in the position to explain to the rancher or farmer why his dog is no longer on all fours....
We just upgraded from the FLIR PS 32 thermal to the Pulsar HD 38. Quite a significant amount of money at $5k a piece, but there's no comparison between the two. With the Pulsar, we pull heat signatures at close to 1000 yds, and can positively identify predators at realistic shooting distances in the dark. By realistic, I mean a few hundred yards.
I'll find some good pics we took utilizing the iPhone and post them up..

Last edited:
There is not comparison between night vision and thermal, if you are considering good thermal. With this model, Jager Pro, you can tell the difference between a pig and a calf at 500 yards.

Flir makes some other good less expensive stuff. Like Jager Pro. Fwiw, if you have the money, go thermal... But get good thermal. If you're wanting to stay under 5k then better go NV.

Here's a link to my d-760. Jager Pro

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.