Better night vision

Varmint Hunter

I was recently hunting hogs in S Carolina. We hunted mostly at the first and last light. It is legal to hunt at night and to use lights or light amplification optics but I did not have either.

On the last day I purchased a high intensity green light which easily mounts to the scope. I was shooting a Marlin 1895 with a Leupold 1.5x5 atop. Hunting from an elevated blind and waited for dark. After dark I popped on the light and took a look around. I was able to see out to the treeline which was 200 yds away but the definition was lousy. I picked up my zeiss binos and noticed that I could see much better under the green light.

What would be a better scope to use on this rifle under these conditions?

I was recently hunting hogs in S Carolina. We hunted mostly at the first and last light. It is legal to hunt at night and to use lights or light amplification optics but I did not have either.

On the last day I purchased a high intensity green light which easily mounts to the scope. I was shooting a Marlin 1895 with a Leupold 1.5x5 atop. Hunting from an elevated blind and waited for dark. After dark I popped on the light and took a look around. I was able to see out to the treeline which was 200 yds away but the definition was lousy. I picked up my zeiss binos and noticed that I could see much better under the green light.

I sure like to have one of these >>> ThermoSight® R-Series Thermal Scope | FLIR Systems or one of the offerings here >>> http://www.nightvisionguys.com/night-vision-scopes

but my budget is closer to http://www.nightvisionguys.com/night-vision-scopes/armasight-orion-5x-night-vision-rifle-scope-gen-1

I'd go with the largest scope you feel comfortable putting on the 1895. It might look kinda goofy with a large scope, but I think that is the only thing that will work. The small scopes, like the one you have, are not that good in collecting light at night. I've got the same basic setup on my 1895 in .45-70, and I use a 1m candlepower spotlight when I use it. I don't even bother with a green flashlight in conjunction with it. I've got a Laser Genetics green light, but I've not had much luck in using it. It has spooked hogs on several occasions.

If you are interested in a dedicated NV unit, I can give recommendations. With the short rail on the 1895, I don't think you will have room for a clip-on unit.

I was shooting a Marlin 1895 with a Leupold 1.5x5 atop......

Anything.

That's about the worst scope ever made for low light hunting. Really, just about anything will work better than that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts