Next year's new toy!

Re: Next year\'s new toy!

The most accurate rifle for under $1000, IMO, would be yours, IF the action is trued (and Kirby is another who can do this correctly), a new custom barrel/chamber installed, wearing solid bases/rings/scope it will shoot. You can do the bedding and trigger work to save some money.

I personally would spend the first $1k on the scope/base/ring combination and do your bedding and trigger work, then when you can afford to have the action and barrel work done.

Find an acceptable load quickly and practice what you learn of this longrange stuff over the first year to learn your system thuroughly, it will take some time but is must be done. Put much practice into learning to connect POA and POI with the first shot at any range presented, quickly, and a laser rangefinder you will find is a must have.

Extending your effective range will be more a function of how well, consistantly and quickly:

1 - you can hold and shoot the rifle
2 - calculate range to target
3 - calculate MOA needed to dial/hold to compensate for bullet drop
4 - judge wind speed/angles then deflection and compensate

than it will be a function of how small the groups your rifle will shoot however, group size capability will eventually limit your range at some point generally somewhere beyond 500+ yards on deer or larger game. Just saying, when group size error combined with vertical and or horizontal error become just to large to maintain consistant kill zone hits, range can then be extended somewhat by tightening up the group size a rifle is capable of, ie. truing and rebarreling may then be viewed as a definite limiting factor.

3sixbits

If you can stabilize them look at 75 amax. Really decent bullet the times I 've shot animals with it. Even opens up beyond 500 yards out of the 223. Up close it seems just fine though I"ve never hit a large bone. They have a decent BC. Something around 450 or so. They shoot really well at 300 yards in my match rifles. 22 shots from prone with a sling and iron sights are often into 2 inch or less groups.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for the thoughts on the 75 grainers. The problem with them is they have to seat to deep to feed through the AR magazines. I used a XM-177 when I used a .223 on caribou. I have switched to the .257AI using the 100 grainers and that has really helped with the wind. Hunting must be similar to golf, in that we can play with more than just one club across the course. I just wished I had a caddy to carry all the different clubs I would like to play the course with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3sixbits

Don't want to hijack this thread.

Could you post where ever appropriate what kind of load I want for the 375 H&H for hunting elk in bear country, if you get what I mean. I think I'm going overboard with the 300 grainers.

rost495
I ordered & will be receiving soon a Rock River Arms 20"
Varmiter with 1-8 Twist. I have the same concern as 3sixbits
that with the 75 A-Max you would have to single load. What is the longest bullet that you or anyone else reading this
has used that could be mag. loaded & still offer good expansion on coyotes or large feral dogs out to 500 Yards?

Re: 3sixbits

[ QUOTE ]
Don't want to hijack this thread.

Could you post where ever appropriate what kind of load I want for the 375 H&H for hunting elk in bear country, if you get what I mean. I think I'm going overboard with the 300 grainers.

[/ QUOTE ]Sorry Roy I didn't see your post earlier. I use only one load of 76 grains of 4350 powder with the 270 grain bullet. In the 3sixbits H&H. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
rost495
I ordered & will be receiving soon a Rock River Arms 20"
Varmiter with 1-8 Twist. I have the same concern as 3sixbits
that with the 75 A-Max you would have to single load. What is the longest bullet that you or anyone else reading this
has used that could be mag. loaded & still offer good expansion on coyotes or large feral dogs out to 500 Yards?

[/ QUOTE ] TRY the 69 grain MatchKings!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.