Newby Shopping List

Pensive Marksman

Hello, Everyone!

So, not really a newby, here, but I don't really have any centerfire rifles in my collection. Everything else from left and right hand compound and traditional bows, rimfire rifles, shotguns in various calibers, revolvers and pistols are well-represented, though. I have tried multiple times, but I just haven't found the rifle that really "resonates" with me.... With family asking me for a Christmas list, I figured I'd try again!

***If you all would be so kind as to suggest your top 5 centerfire rifles and calibers, I'd really appreciate it. Also, if there are any accessories you feel must be purchased from the get-go, please feel free to add them (cases, cleaning kits, bipods, slings, etc.). Although not the case, please assume I have nothing else.

Characteristics:
1) GOOD SYSTEM: I'd like to start out with something that I can learn from, if that makes sense. I like to tinker with things to learn about them, and I also think it's be nice to be able to build on and improve on over time, whether by myself or with the help of a 'smith.
2) DURABLE: I'd like something fairly robust, as I tend to be hard on my things.
3) CLASSIC: If possible, I'd like something with soul, something pretty (not the same as "flashy"), something classic.
4) CHEAP CALIBER: fairly inexpensive ammo that won't kill my shoulder in extended shooting sessions (note - I don't intend to get into reloading until I figure out if I'm shooting enough to make it beneficial).
5) THICKER BARREL: no pencil-thin tapered hunting barrels, please. I'm not a terrible shot, but I think I'll have to practice a fair amount, and tapered barrels probably heat up too much.
6) NEW, NOT USED?: I will be giving this list to family members who are not so adept at finding quality used firearms in the classifieds, so I would like to keep this list confined to new firearms.

I really appreciate any input you have for me. I've been reading a bit more and looking around for a forum on longer distance rifling, and this seems like the place to be.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
PM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.