Read this forum for a while and decided to join. I hunt in mississippi. Never a long enough shot under 200 with .223 on a armadillo.I have a couple of fields around 800yrds one around 2000yrds but never attempted. I have a stock .300 rem sendero .300 weatherby 4.5x14x50 leoupold.Just got a Rem700LSS 7 ultra mag but plain jane as of now. Was just wondering on any advice ya'll could give me on my LRH/shooting. About to start reloading soon i hope.

Welcome to the wonderful world of "Hmmm, maybe I should get one of these for X amount of $"! Shooting even moderatly long range requires a really accurate rifle/load combo that most people don't luck across in a factory gun, a range finder that works consistantly to the ranges you want to shoot and either bullet drop/drift charts that reflect (accuratly) your rig or a ballistics program with the needed info either printed out or portable, ie laptop. Figure out what you want to hit and how far away you want to hit it and take it from there! Armadillos @ 800 yards is going to be a great goal and quite an achievement to do with consistancy. Take out your favorite outfit and start shooting (targets) and see what you can hit and from how far away. Did I mention that you should bring lots of ammo and a cleaning kit? When I'm playing with long range gear, I bring along a trail bike or 4 wheeler so I can ride to and from the target and avoid being tired and distracted while shooting. You'll soon learn the limitations of your shooting ability and your equipment. Once you know how far away you can consistantly hit something the size of an armadillo in the kill zone, you need to start shooting something like half gallon milk jugs from different distances to get the distance compensation and wind doping down pat. After you figure that out.... Go for it! As you find you have individual problems, post them on the forum and there are plenty of experts that will happily lend their expertise to solving your problem be it wind doping, lack of rifle/load accuracy, needing a better shooting bench, whatever.
Welcome aboard and have fun!
Coyoter

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts