Newbie Question about Wind Meters

mrb1982

I am just kinda getting started on shooting long range. I have a Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag. I am working on getting a range finder(never used one before, but never tried shots that I would have needed them for), and am looking at wind meters also. My buddy tells me the Kestrel's are pretty good. I am wondering, with all the different models and capabilities out there, waht do I really need? I am thinking the 2500 with Wind, Temp, and Barometric Pressure would be pretty nice. My question would be do I really need the BP? I will be shooting strictly long range hunting, no target. Thanks for your help.

I am just kinda getting started on shooting long range. I have a Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag. I am working on getting a range finder(never used one before, but never tried shots that I would have needed them for), and am looking at wind meters also. My buddy tells me the Kestrel's are pretty good. I am wondering, with all the different models and capabilities out there, waht do I really need? I am thinking the 2500 with Wind, Temp, and Barometric Pressure would be pretty nice. My question would be do I really need the BP? I will be shooting strictly long range hunting, no target. Thanks for your help.
Barometric pressue isn't going to make much difference until you get past 1,000yds.

If by BP you mean "bipod" no it's not a necessity, but man will they ever come in handy when trying to shoot prone. You will be far steadier with a bipod than you ever will be bracing off of your pack or a rock/log etc.

Barometric pressue isn't going to make much difference until you get past 1,000yds.

If by BP you mean "bipod" no it's not a necessity, but man will they ever come in handy when trying to shoot prone. You will be far steadier with a bipod than you ever will be bracing off of your pack or a rock/log etc.

By BP, I mean Barometric Pressure. thanks for the input on the wind meter. I have a bipod on my gun and it's great. I need to get a descent range finder and wind meter and then I will be ready to rock. After that, I will try to upgrade my glass.

For me the Baro data is the most important since I change elevation by thousands of feet during a hunt, it's an easily accounted for item and the more you nail down the better your solution will be!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.