Newbie here...Weatherby 300 mag. What Powder would be best to try?

Bobby Bobcat1

The gun is a Vanguard made in Japan. With the brake the barrel is 24" (seems short to me) The man I bought it from says it shoots great. Said under 2" at 200 yards. with Hornady Precision Hunter 200 ELDx bullets.

I want to try Barnes TSX bullets as I had good luck back in the early 90's with them. The powders have all changed since then. I will be neck sizing only fire formed brass in my gun. So what powder would be best in your opinion to try. Not trying to win matches but I do like an accurate rifle and like tinkering with loads. Best I remember back then I was at about 78 grains of 7828 that got my best groups. Now it was a different gun. Remington left handed long action, Brown Precision stock and a #4 Shilen barrel. The gun would 1 hole 3 shots at a 100 yards. At 400 I could keep it in a 2inch circle. It was a bad dude. It was built by Triple G in Stephenville, TX. He has retired from the gun business now and his wife said he could not come to the phone... so I'm not sure what that was all about.

Too poor for all of that now so I'm trying to do the best I can with what I have. I do have a better scope on the way. It already has a Rifle Basix trigger that breaks like light bulb glass. Love the trigger.

20210314_101453.jpg

20210314_101246.jpg

20210314_101304.jpg

Last edited:
H1000 has worked good for me. 7828 and RL 23 have been worked good also. This has been in 26 and 24 inch barrels. H4831 would be another good choice. That is a nice looking rifle, I know guys who are having good results with the Athlon scopes.

Thanks fellas. I'm replacing the Athlon with a better Athlon for hunting along with better rings. IMR7828 and H4831 are ones I used in the past. The Allant and H1000 are good suggestions. Thanks

7828 ssc (only because they don't make original anymore). Not a new and improved powder but to many still the original magnum powder and the one to beat.

Imr enduron 7977 promises the same performance with temp stability and decoppering.

Barnes 180 TTSX and about 81 grains of 7828SSC.
So far 4-5 Weatherbys like a load within spitting distance of this, i.e. within a grain.
If I had to make one load to shoot, this would be it.
My MKV 26 inch likes 81 gr 7828sc with 180 TSX
My German MK V, 24 inch, likes IMR4350 with 180 grn AB, or BT
I use RL 22 for 200 grn bullets

Bobby, specific powders are quite difficult to find. Go with what you can find. Perhaps in the DFW area and the extreme temperature changes you may choose to use a temp insensitive powder. My niece lives there and every time I talk to her it's cold or hot. Good luck

RL 25 is a go to powder in 300 Bee for the 180s and heavier!
Rl25 has to be one of the most underrated powders out there now. I get that it's not the magical space dust that rl26 is, but dang it's good. And in unexpected applications too. Awesome in heavy 270 loads, 300 win mag too. Fiddled around with 180 woodleighs in a plain old 270 win a while back. Rl25 was the one to beat in that combo. 270 win, Fed primers, rl25, 180 grain weldcores, Winchester brass (capacity is there, not with federal), got an even and honest 2600 FPS in a 22 inch tube. Not bad.

Rl25 has to be one of the most underrated powders out there now. I get that it's not the magical space dust that rl26 is, but dang it's good. And in unexpected applications too. Awesome in heavy 270 loads, 300 win mag too. Fiddled around with 180 woodleighs in a plain old 270 win a while back. Rl25 was the one to beat in that combo. 270 win, Fed primers, rl25, 180 grain weldcores, Winchester brass (capacity is there, not with federal), got an even and honest 2600 FPS in a 22 inch tube. Not bad.
I've burned a few jugs of rl25... good powder for heavies in a 300win or general shooting in a 300rum/7stw... I've kinda went elsewhere lately but it's still a good powder...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.