Newbe.. Scopes

Bman definatly looking into Nicon also TY. Just too make sure i am clear about custom turrets , after all my info is programed in which ever co i will go with, will cut me a turret, say if i was shooting 550yrds i would set my turret too 5.5 moa and bombs away?

I'd suggest the zeiss conquest. I shoot a 4.5 x 14 x 44 and i have nothing but praise for it. I bought one used off swfa.com and put target turrets on it. Havn't shot to much high end glass but, I put it next to a vx 3 in low light and that made my decision very easy.

I was just thinking.. to get started in this LR shooting game , can i purchace a turret's for my Leupold vx ii 3x9x50

Just too make sure i am clear about custom turrets , after all my info is programed in which ever co i will go with, will cut me a turret, say if i was shooting 550yrds i would set my turret too 5.5 moa and bombs away?

Not exactly but you're on the right track. The turret will give you reference marks for the yardages under the conditions you specify but it won't be in MOA.

Understanding minute-of-angle measurements and how to use them will definitely help you in the long run in your LR shooting. I suspect you can search minute-of-angle and sort through the results for a thorough tutorial of MOA.

Good luck and good shooting.

It ran me 650 off swfa.com I sent it off for another 95 to have the turrets put on. I was very concerned about buying used glass online. I bought a condition B scope and it looked brand new to me. I wouldn't hesitate to do so again from them.

Ok so i finally decided on a vortex viper 4x16x50 LR turrets . Thought it was the best bang for the buck. Now i just need help with bullet selection. This is a A Bolt with BOSS in 300wsm. I like the Barnes tipped x bullet in 180's . Currently i shoot a 2'' group at 300yards with 165 Accubond's but surfing this site i now believe my bullet should be heavier. How far should i expect to be accurate ? TY 4 the help .

180 I think is the heaviest offering in a factory load. So I would look for the Accubond, Barnes, SST, or Remington probably offers the Scirrocco. You might be able to find heavier through Cor-Bon, HSM, and Gunwerks, but no guarantee's there. Double Tap has a 200grn Accubond that would work really well. That would extend your range to 800-900 yards depending on how comfortable you are with your rifle, and if it likes the ammo. The 185 Berger offering from HSM would be a good 1000yd whitetail bullet. But some guns like it, others do not. You'll just have to find something that works. The 180grn Accubond offerings will get you to 800 no problem. Personally I think the Vortex is a good pick. If you want custom turrets, they can make them for you.

budget is 800-1000

Forget about the low(er) level scopes like Burris, Leupold and Vortex, get the best your budget affords: Zeiss 3-12x56 Diavari VM/V Rifle Scope DEMO-B

Don't worry about it being "only" 12x on the top end as the superior clarity of the glass will enable you to see much further than what you would get from a 16x or even 20x scope of lower quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.