newbe at this

DwRuger

I'm new at this high power shooting, I baught a Savage 111, 30-06 ,and put a sightron SII 6x24x42. I was told not to shoot any thing lighter than 180gr. for bear hunting is this correct info, or is the gun not enough. Only have access to factory loads
confused.gif

Sir,

If I may comment regarding hunting black bears your choice of cartridge is an excellent choice. IMHO you don't need a bullet larger than 180 on blacks. For the -06 I would use 150-160's as 180's and up are built for moose/elk size critters. Your scope choice for a "typical" bear hunting setting is not good as most black bear hunting is done over bait piles and at max ranges of 20-30yds due to the heavily wooded enviroment. If you want scoped sights, consider a 1.5-6, however your application may differ.. Above all, shot placement is most critical/the key in any hunting situation..

I am speaking from my experiance of hunting black bear in the woods NW MN.

Nodak

i think i will be hunting black bear in maine, over bait only talk to guide few times so not 100% sure. I choose that scope incase i decide to hunt something further out and target shoot but thanks for your advice

I have an '06 myself. Had it for over 20 years. I have taken many animals with it over the years. I agree with Nodak7mm, shot placement is the most important. Stick with quality ammo and you will be humping a big black bear out of the woods.

Good luck with your hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.