New Zealand Tahr Cull

petenz

I went on a Tahr Cull last weekend, here's a film of some of the action. Shots from 30 to 500m with my .260.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnRnVUEvYKg[/ame]

Beautiful country, excellent hunt, and awesome video as always. I've always enjoyed your videos ... thanks for sharing.

Why not just shoot as many as you can? They are an exotic so they should be wiped out.

Why? Tahrs was first introduced to New Zealand for sport and have since expanded rapidly into neighboring areas. They currently occupy a portion of the Southern Alps and are still being hunted as a sport.

IMHO, just need to manage the herd accordingly and enjoy it in the process, like OP did.

Please give us the specifications on the rifle, scope, and ammunition used. I am really interested in hunting in NZ. What is the weight limit on the helicopter?

Thanks

Jerry

Please give us the specifications on the rifle, scope, and ammunition used. I am really interested in hunting in NZ. What is the weight limit on the helicopter?

Thanks

Jerry

Rifle is my Sako 85 Finnlight, .260 rem. Barrel cut to 19.4 inches with a DPT overbarrel modular suppressor. Scope is a 3-12x50 S&B PMII, shooting handloads of H4530 and 140gr Amax at 2700fps.

A hughes 500 can carry around about as much as you can physically stuff into it... (about 700kg including pilot/passengers for a D model, from memory)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts