New Zealand Tahr Closeup and Personal

NZStaghunter

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and I thought I would introduce my hunting environment with a short video.

This was hunting Tahr during May on the East Coast of the South Island New Zealand (Canterbury)

If any of you are interested in hunting Tahr May is fantastic as mating is in full swing so the bulls tend to be with the main mobs of nannies.

Here is a young fella that came in for a look after a mature bull was shot. They very rearly do this. I wll apologise about the shacking in advance but please enjoy.

great footage mate
i was down south for 3 weeks last dec and had a couple wind me and they came to check me out.pitty as soon as i moved to take a photo they scarped.

Great movie¡¡

Is May also a good season for deer down there??

Thinking of orgçanizing a trip ...

Great movie¡¡

Is May also a good season for deer down there??

Thinking of orgçanizing a trip ...

alg deer hunting can be good as after the rut (April) the deer mob up and and the stags are very hungry after hardly eating for the rut period. The other advantage is the antlers are hard at that time of year.

If you are chasing Tahr 15th - 30th May is what I regard as the premium period.

Any further questions give me a yell and don't be fooled by some guides that hunting from a helicopter is the only way or accepted in NZ. Ground shooting is the only legal and ethical way to hunt these animals. There is plenty of government land that is open to the public and helicopter access to the location is frequently used.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.- It´s not going to be soon but it will happen some day.-

I agree about the helicopter.... I would not be very proud of having shot an animal like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.