New Winchester Model 70???

MZmoose

I am a big game hunter and a fan of the controlled round feed in the Winchester M70 but I don't see anyone talking about them as a long range hunting rifle. I'm going to get a 308 win and use it for deer, sheep, and goat hunting out to 600 yds or so. Is the Win M70 action and their hammer forged barrels not up snuff for long range?? I'm open to suggestions for suitable rifles as long as their not to heavy so I can actually get it up in the sheep mountains.

I own a bunch of Model-70's, & yes they'll shoot great.
My two "LR" (to me anyway) rifles were both model-70 factory rifles.
One in 270wsm for Deer, Elk, & Bear. DIY Trigger job, & handloads average 3/4 MOA.
One was in 300wby for Deer, Elk, & Bear. DIY Trigger job, DIY beded the action, DIY complete free floated bbl. Easy sub MOA after bedding job even with factory ammo. (best group was 4-1/16" @ 541 yds with a pretty good wind)
Just sold the Model-70 win. 300wby to my buddy so I could get a 300wsm, & afford to shoot more often.
My Model-70, 270WSM will never go away. I love that thing!
There's quite a few of us using Winchesters.
And quite a few more with custom builds on Model-70 actions.
You'll be fine with a Winchester.

I have owned several Wonchester Model 70's in both Pre-64 and post with CRF over the years. They are fine rifles very capable for LRH, with excellent accuracy. Never had a problem with one, and never had one that wouldn't shoot. Can't say that for all the other popular brands I have owned. My mountain, carry rifle is a Supergrade with CRF in 270WSM. My best mulie, in my ID picture below, was taken with this rifle, a 450 yard frontal neck shot. My only suggestion, the 308 is a great round and will work, but for the range and type of hunting you describe you could be better served with a flatter shooting round.

Glad to hear it! I lost my last M70 in a house fire and I took some of my best trophies with it, but nothing over 300 yds. I really wanted to get into long range hunting and all I hear is get a Rem 700 or a Savage. I used to have a Rem 700 but it never shot well and it actually jammed (failed to feed with Rem factory ammo) and cost me a nice buck. Any models you would recommend? I kinda like the looks of the Coyote Light with its heavier contour barrel and extra sling swivel for a bipod. Maybe I'll look into the WSM calibers too.

Last edited:
I think which model is personal preference., but I have always been partial to their sportier weight barrels for a rifle that I will be carrying a lot. Total weight runs about 9 pounds, balance well, and I've always been a sucker for the traditional looks of the Model 70. I might be wrong, but I think the Coyote Light actually runs about a pound lighter than the sporter and has a lighter fluted barrel, stainless. As I mentioned, I have a 270WSM, my favorite. My buddy has the 300WSM in the sporter rifle. My other Model 70 is a 30-06. All run 3 shots at a 100 yards around .5-.75 MOA with factory ammo, .5MOA or less with hand loads.

Ok Winchester it is, thanks for the help. I will look into the sporter series rifles and the 270, 7mm, and 300 WSM's. I think the bullet selection is a little limited in the 325 WSM.

There are lighter guns out there if you're concerned about weight. The Winchester actions are a bit heavy, which forces them to shave weight in other places ie: barrel contour, stock, etc.

With that said, I bought a new Extreme Weather 300 WSM a bit over a year ago and love it. It's a solid 7 lb bare rifle with a fluted 3 contour barrel, in a Bell and Carlson "ultralight stock". With a scope and mounts you're probably looking to add at least another 20 ounces with the lightest available long range type scope, with a normal figure being more like 25 ounces. Most hard core sheep guys like a bit lighter.

As for performance, the new Winchesters are impressive. Accuracy is not an issue with a good load. I really like the Win WSM action because it gives you plenty of magazine room to work with. It's no problem to seat all the way to the lands and still maintain magazine function. My 300 WSM will cycle 230 grain Bergers loaded to the lands with an OAL of 3.010 through the magazine.

The thing I dont't like with the new M70 is the MOA trigger. I've massaged it a bit and added a lighter spring from Ernie, but I would still like more adjustment range to lighten it a bit more.

Here is mine after having the stock camo dipped in ATACS.
IMG_0288.jpg

Here is some load development photos.

200graingroup-1.jpg

700007790_2502603240_0.jpg

I like M70's and hunt with them alot. The M70 will make a fine LR rig.

If you like M70's but want something lighter a Kimber may be interesting to you. They are very much alike but the Kimber is lighter.

Made it official tonight. "Shortgrass" here on LRH ( A.K.A.-Teds custom shop) is building my 300 wsm on my Winchester model-70 action from my first rifle I got as a kid.
I'm STOAKED!!! So is my dad who gave me that rifle.:D
Finally, it won't be religated to "safe queen" duty anymore!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.