New Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 Just Arrived but...

The EBR 1 MOA reticle in the 4-16x50 is .1 MOA according to vortex, in the 6-24x50 it is .06 MOA, the NP-R1 is .07-.072 IIRC.

Thanks for the data barnesuser28. But for me, my first thought when I looked
thru the glass was how thin the reticle was. At least for my eyes. For you or
someone else, it maybe fine.

I appreciate you chiming in.

...Some like it thick, some like it thin some like it in the pot, nine days old....

On illumination, the illumination isn't supposed to be blatantly visible even on the 10 setting, however, if you put the reticle against a dark background, it will show right up, like a deer in the woods, or an elk in the trees.....

Had to show that to a shooting companion when he looked through mine and said... What illuminaqtion? I said, it's there on a dark background and proceeded to have him look into some trees.....

I seldom turn mine on anyway. The cross hairs compare favoribly to the Leupy fine duplex IMO.

I never had an illuminated scope until I bought a PST. Been hunting for years without.

Not too crazy about the dial or the on-off-on clicks or the battery life but the optic is fine.

Also, keep in mind that modern reticles are etched in the glass whereas old school reticles were actually physical threads laid on the glass and sealed in so the thicker the thread the easier to lay in.

Up here in Michigan, deer hunting, all those has marks and numbers are basically meaningless because you don't shoot that far. A long shot might be 250 yards, but then being old school, we all practice Kentucky windage anyway....:)

One of the group took an elk last year out west with his 7-08 using 'Kentucky Windage'. Hard habit to break I guess.

All good info and points SidecarFlip. Thanks for replying.

I also have a ? About the pst. Im looking at getting one for my .308 rem 700 build. Im looking at getting the 6-24x50 ffp. Wondering how large of a target the reticle will cover at full power.at 400 yard or so would it cover a 4"steel plate? The rifle is going to be used mostly for target shooting out to around 800 yds

It would cover about .72" at 400 yards, where as the SFP would cover about .24"... the SFP is the clear winner to me.

It would cover about .72" at 400 yards, where as the SFP would cover about .24"... the SFP is the clear winner to me.

Thanks a lot. On the sfp what magnification power makes the reticle hashes 1 moa? Ive got a Midwest industries base which has not cant so I'm thinking that I will run out of elevation adjustment and have to hold over if I find somewhere to shoot 1000+ yds. But correct me if im wrong

No problem Sir, also worth mentioning, is the fact that the viper pst magnification ring only has those 4 powers so when you get to one there is a little hiccup (for lack of a better term) and that is the exact power you are at. It also tells you that the hash marks are now 1, 2, 3, or 4 MOA.

Here is an okay picture showing what i mean.

Attachments

• download (3).jpg
    download (3).jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 48
I also have a ? About the pst. Im looking at getting one for my .308 rem 700 build. Im looking at getting the 6-24x50 ffp. Wondering how large of a target the reticle will cover at full power.at 400 yard or so would it cover a 4"steel plate? The rifle is going to be used mostly for target shooting out to around 800 yds

Your reticule would be 24 times thicker at 800 yds. (1.44") and your 4" steel plate would be 96 inches at 24 power. The reticule increases the same amount as your target.

I have the PST 6-24x50mm MOA FFP scope and able to hold on the "X" ring of the target at 400 yds. and 1,000 yds. on 24 power.

joseph

Attachments

• 1000 yd. target.JPG
    1000 yd. target.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 400 yd target.jpg
    400 yd target.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 57
  • bling .JPG
    bling .JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 79
I have to disagree. The reticle on the Vortex Viper model I was sent was ridiculously thin. It disappeared when I placed the reticle on a dark background. No way I could pick out the cross hairs.

I have 3 NF scopes all with the NP-R1 reticle. They are definitely thicker than the Vortex Viper. I've never had any issues shooting on dark backgrounds with any of my NP-R1 reticles.

The Nightforce NP-R1 is .062 MOA thick the EBR-1 MOA in the Vortex is .100 MOA thick.

Some optics don't have the right reticle focus for everyone, it happens!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.