New to 'yote hunting- need advice

Litehiker

I live in the 'Vegas valley so in Nevada I can hunt 'yotes year round.

->I plan to use my Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor with 129 gr. Superformance ammo.
->The RAP has a 3 - 15 x 42 SWFA mil/mil scope which should be OK up to 400 yards at 15x.
-> Also I have a pair of 10 x 42 Bushnell ARC 1 Mile laser rangefinder binoculars for spotting and range finding.

I have plenty of brownish camo, mostly Realtree Advantage, which is very good in the Nevada desert.

-> I don't want to spend a lot on calling gear.
1. Can I download calls to my iPod nano? (what websites and what prices?)
2. Can I use a Bluetooth-capable waterproof speaker for calling. (Reliable range from my iPod is about 20 ft.)

-> If you live in or near the 'Vegas valley I'd like to hunt with you a few times to get the hang of it. I can use my Benelli M1 as your shotgunner. PM me here if interested.

Eric B.

To start off I would just buy an open reed call and look on u tube at some coyote video and do what they do. I do not know any thing about an ipod or using blue tooth. I have a ICOtec caller and it is not expensive and works good. But the mouth caller works better for me, maybe because I can blow it louder . I just use both.

Thanks for the manual call advice. When turkey hunting in Pennsylvania I used mouth calls, slate calls and a box call. They all worked at one time or another.

I use a bunch of the Primos Randy Anderson series calls. I have found them easy to use and, more importantly, Randy does a very good job of explaining how to use the calls. I have both of the Mastering the Art instructional videos for predator calling and found them far easier to understand than many of the others out there (main reason I went with Primos calls when learning to call other game animals was that video series). A mouth call gives you more flexibility than an electronic call, as long as you take the time to learn how to use it; the advantage with the electronic call is that the sound comes from some place other than where you are which means that what you are calling is less likely to pick you out, especially bobcats.
The biggest advice I can give you is to get out there and try, especially if you have someone local who can go with you and give you pointers.

A Feather on a stick is a cheap and easy Decoy to carry and use!Try mouth calls for a while and if You stay with Coyote Hunting invest in a nice Electronic Caller but keep the mouth calls handy to add to the E-Caller sounds for realism and as a back up in case of battery failure or any un-forseen problems. ;)

Cat,
Interesting you'd recommend Primos because I've been looking at their array of offerings and videos. Guess I'll try them.

GTO,
Hmmmm... feather-on-a-stick. Sounds good to try. Later I'll add a battery operated shakin' "furry critter". I'll try them in the same day but not at the same time.

Should I bring my shotgun along for close-in surprise shots?

Eric B.

Cat,
Interesting you'd recommend Primos because I've been looking at their array of offerings and videos. Guess I'll try them.

The explanations that Randy gives may be tailored to the Primos call, but they work with just about all of the others too. Having a good instructor makes a difference, and Randy is a good teacher.

Don't expect one every time you call, and don't overlook the need to approach your stand quietly without being seen. Next learn how to shoot calmly under pressure because you WILL get excited. Your tactics and marksmanship will make more of a difference than your calling. It's not hard to sound like a rabbit in distress. I don't know what he's putting out lately, but Ed Sceery makes good open reed calls and instruction, especially for howling. E.L.K inc. makes a good call and plenty of videos.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.