New to reloading...this is my plan...

Maybe this is true in benchrest? It's certainly NOT true in F-Class, nor is it true in the field. If you have a load developed that sits in an actual node, .1 grain either way will have no measurable effect on muzzle velocity average, ES, or SD. It isn't difficult to manage vertical dispersion while measuring to the nearest .1 grain. I have NEVER been kept from the X or 10 ring @ 1000 by vertical dispersion. Wind? Different story. What separates the men from the boys @ 1000 is wind doping, not time at the loading bench.

This.....anyone who's run a ladder test @ 400+yds knows that several loads can vary +/- .5 and still maintain the same vertical….that's the sweet spot, OBT, node or whatever you want to call it.
Where it gets crazy is when you have 3 at basically the same vertical with .3 grain difference between each.

Last edited:
pure bs for 1000 yds plus precision, steel maybe, hunting maybe.
short range be my guest
the op said 1000 yards
i think i have been very clear on long range precision loading.
This.....anyone who's run a ladder test @ 400+yds knows that several loads can vary +/- .5 and still maintain the same vertical….that's the sweet spot, OBT, node or whatever you want to call it.
Where it gets crazy is when you have 3 at basically the same vertical with .3 grain difference between each.

you are correct the site is hunting,
BUT
the first two FORUMS clearly say and SHOOTING.
THE OP CLEARLY SAID 1000 YARDS
SO MY long range info applies .
The name of the site is " Len Backus' Long Range Hunting Magazine"
says so right at the top of the page.
The web address is longrangehunting.com
This is the reloading thread.
You can post all the winning you want not too many people here care after your 500+ posts in 8 months of misinformation and arguing EVERY thread into the ground!

"Girl don't go away mad Girl just go away!"
-Motley Crue

short range be my guest
the op said 1000 yards

I'm guessing you have a much more stringent definition of precision. Maybe I shouldn't have used that word. I'm not after 1" groups at 1000 or whatever you're idea of precision at that range is. If I can smack a deer -sized kill zone at that range, I'm happy.

Guys, I really appreciate all the advice, info, guidance, etc. I've been taking notes and just trying to piece it all together. I'm going to start looking for some used stuff and start putting together a setup. I will also pickup a couple reloading guides and reading thru them as well to further understand the whole process. I think this will be a lot of fun and will allow me to shoot a bit more often.

Thanks everyone!

you are correct the site is hunting,
BUT
the first two FORUMS clearly say and SHOOTING.
THE OP CLEARLY SAID 1000 YARDS
SO MY long range info applies .

mike in co
11-28-2012, 08:20 PM
if you want to "hunt" at 1000yds...why not go to a long range hunting site...this is a TARGET/COMPETITION site.

Mossy

I am fairly new to reloading myself and I really enjoy it. I first started loading for my 338 Lapua and I am starting to load for my 6.5-284. To date, I've loaded about 300 Lapua rounds.

To add my two cents, I'd have to say take your time and make smart purchases. Buy once, cry once.

I decided on using Redding products for the most part and bought them along the way. I use a Redding Big Boss 2 press and believe it functions flawless. I am using Redding FL dies w/competition seater. Redding powder trickle, primer pocket cleaner, and case brushes. I use a Forester primer seater. I do have an RCBS M1000 Beam scale which seems to be accurate (Got a good deal) and a RCBS digital caliper. Also use Hornady measuring tools (Comparator & bump gauges).

I looked at the "Kits" and decided to buy my setup in pieces as I got good deals shopping around.

I believe I'm doing ok reloading, as I can produce what I believe to be good groups and single digit SD & ES.

Good luck and look around for components. Sign up for a Midway account and maybe catch some good deals with birthday pricing. I have purchased 90% of my stuff from Brownells. They offer good coupons as well.

Last edited:
BS?? Lol ok....The pic is me measuring a 5 shot group using a $30+ pair of calipers from a load developed with a cheap beam scale. Only reason it wasn't bullet on bullet had more to do with me than the load itself.
Btw....this is from my 6.5-06AI .264...my 7RM shots a .68, not quite there yet.

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_1146_matrix (1).jpg
    rsz_1rsz_1146_matrix (1).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 99
  • rsz_1rsz_1146_matrix (1).jpg
    rsz_1rsz_1146_matrix (1).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 106
short range be my guest
the op said 1000 yards
Then post up your 5x5s and trophys champ. Tired of your mouth.
I'm so glad you're here to tell us we're all wrong, and that all our equipment, method, proven theory and hard-earned results are all bull$#it.
I don't know how these found their 200 yard zeros, throwing charges with my Charge Masters, tuned their seating depths and group at 1436 yards.
Oh, and these are magnum 7mm & 6.5 calibers, not those little 6mm fag pills your comp rifle barely swings steel with (if you can actually hit it)
7mm-300WSM
IMG_20181007_114141711.jpg

IMG_20181003_113834317.jpg

IMG_20181003_112950990.jpg

IMG_20181007_114801406.jpg

6.5 GAP 4S
IMG_20181127_171420826.jpg

IMG_20181010_124939541.jpg

IMG_20181010_124655917.jpg

IMG_20181011_132308515.jpg

Last edited:
I'm guessing you have a much more stringent definition of precision. Maybe I shouldn't have used that word. I'm not after 1" groups at 1000 or whatever you're idea of precision at that range is. If I can smack a deer -sized kill zone at that range, I'm happy.

Guys, I really appreciate all the advice, info, guidance, etc. I've been taking notes and just trying to piece it all together. I'm going to start looking for some used stuff and start putting together a setup. I will also pickup a couple reloading guides and reading thru them as well to further understand the whole process. I think this will be a lot of fun and will allow me to shoot a bit more often.

Thanks everyone!

YouTube can have a lot of misleading, inaccurate info so be careful, but referencing video while reading a manual the in beginning helped a lot. When you start some of the wording can be confusing. Coordinating with a visual reference makes the learning curve less steep.

20190413_175514_HDR.jpg
Speaking for myself, this is absolutely the single most important tool on my loading bench. With it, I can ramble on about occurances, ideas, cause and effect, and of course, results and later go back and get current without hurting my brain or having to start over. Great tool! Cheap, too !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts