New to LR shooting. where to start?

krimsingoste

I am not that new to shooting, but not too experienced with rifles either. I have an AR, and in Boy Scouts I would shoot a 22lr rifle years ago. I want to get into long range shooting, but don't know where to start. I would eventually like to get into1k and 1k+ shooting. Where and how should I start? Books, videos, etc? Anyone know of any classes or teahcers in or around the Gainesville/Alachua/North Central Florida area?

I am not that new to shooting, but not too experienced with rifles either. I have an AR, and in Boy Scouts I would shoot a 22lr rifle years ago. I want to get into long range shooting, but don't know where to start. I would eventually like to get into1k and 1k+ shooting. Where and how should I start? Books, videos, etc? Anyone know of any classes or teahcers in or around the Gainesville/Alachua/North Central Florida area?

You picked a good place to start put this site on your homepage and start reading and asking questions. I would learn all you can about ballistics and bullet BCs,reloading, and which caliber would suit you best. I would pick one that's easy to reload. Just starting out I would get a low recoiling cartridge like a .308 or a .260 would be better ballistically. But 308 would be cheaper if you don't reload and easier to find match ammo once you get past 300yrds you will be schooled on trajectory. So I would pick something cheap to shoot but accurate and shoot as much as you can. Welcome to longrange .WARNING. IT HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. Be prepared to spend some coin..

but don't know where to start.

Books and videos are a great investment for the return. Applied Ballistics has a variety available and my personal preference. Schools are additionally a great investment for return. The last in order for recommendation would be to purchase a rifle specifically for long range only without understanding how to get from point A to point B. Hence the first two recommendations first. If practical, purchase a rifle that can be used for a variety of hunting situations, one that is easy to learn and reload, and one that is cheap on the pocket and shoulder. Afterward, when the bug settles in, explore expansion with the associated costs and goals in mind.

Just my perspective working with many folks wanting to venture down this trail. Too often I'm "told" the comment, "I want to be able to shoot an animal over 1000 yards." Simple question back, "How do you plan to get there?" This is usually followed by a blank look. You're on the right path. Learn and make the wise investments before breaking the bank and the often too fast unrealistic expectations.

I live south of Live Oak. I have shot a lot of LR. I use to belong to Bradford Sporting Farm, they have out to 850 yards. Next weekend they are starting a monthly 600 F/Class league over at Camp Blanding. I've shot a lot of over 1000 yard stuff, but mention these places because they are good places to go and get some experience. Bradford is on the costly side.You use to be able to shoot on the 300 yard range for $20.00 a day. In the Osceola Forest in Lake City there is a 200 yard range that is free. If your experience is in shorter range then this, this would be a good place to start. You said you have an AR, is this what you plan on shooting at longer ranges? And finally they did teach some long-range classes at Bradford.

Dgd6mm, I am a member of Gainesville Target Range yearly. Have about 8+ months left there. Here we have a 100yard that I plan to work on for now. Once I can maybe take a course, and get the basics down, I will stay there untill my year is up. From what I have read, I can practice with my AR untill about 400ish, after that I will be ready, be able to afford, a better LR rifle, loading my own ammo, and begin to go somewhere with a longer range. But I plan to read up and research, and watch videos. Then I will find a teacher. And will go from there! I have a bunch of books and wesites, but does anyone have any books or site names they recommend?

For all or most of the basics, check out this forum:

The Basics, Starting Out - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

The first seven 'stickies' will provide you with a good base of information to improve your shooting technique.

When you're ready to buy a rifle, the earlier suggest of getting a 308 is a good one. My cousin has said something I think is true "everyone should learn how to shoot a 308 with 175grain sierra match king bullets going 2700fps." If you can master shooting in the wind with that load, you can do it with ANYTHING!

I talk the talk and walk the walk, I started with and recommend a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 308 as your starter rifle....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

Be sure to read the thread all the way to the end and you will see this 'semi-custom' rifle turn into a full-blown custom 260.

And as mentioned earlier, get ready for the $$$ to pour out of your wallet! Welcome to the addiction.

In addition to this place I would also check this site out. AccurateShooter.com
I frequent the most between here and there. I post more here though but probably read more there lol. Personally if I were you I would start with this. I wish I would have went this route and built up slowly. Rimfire Tactical Precision Match with gear. It saves money and really helps with your wind reading.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! Good on you for being in the Boy Scouts; as a scout leader, Order of the Arrow and Venture Crew advisor, and a father of two Eagle Scouts, I commend you and wish you the best of luck in your scouting career.

Not sure how active scouting is in your area but you might want to check out the different Venture Crews. When we stood up our Venture Crew a few years ago, the overwhelming interest was shooting. All of us parents/leaders are hunters and shooters. We pinged the local shooting clubs and we got overwhelming support from skeet, trap, and rifle shooting along with professional instructions. All the equipment were provided and all our members have to do was show up :cool: and they had a blast! :D

Again welcome and good luck!

I left Scouting as a Life scout, and Brotherhood-in Order of the Arrow. My scout leader in south Fl had marital issues, and became a drunk child molester, so our troop split. After about a year of a couple Order meetings and camping weekends, I stopped being active. I live in North Florida now, and haven't even considered being active again. I always assumed I would have a boy or two and I would get them into the Scouts. Unfortunately, me and the wife haven't been blessed with having children.....YET! Still a couple more years of trying. Can only hope,

I left Scouting as a Life scout, and Brotherhood-in Order of the Arrow. My scout leader in south Fl had marital issues, and became a drunk child molester, so our troop split. After about a year of a couple Order meetings and camping weekends, I stopped being active. I live in North Florida now, and haven't even considered being active again. I always assumed I would have a boy or two and I would get them into the Scouts. Unfortunately, me and the wife haven't been blessed with having children.....YET! Still a couple more years of trying. Can only hope,

Bummer! I'm sorry for your unpleasant scouting experience.

Never give up hope, good luck and God bless to you and your wife!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.