New to Hog hunting

I would be interested in any video concerning a hog getting nut shot!

.... and substantiation of the claim that the shot was, in and of itself, fatal. :rolleyes:
go back and look at the post about the wounded boar charge. no doubt the nut shot killed him. he shrugged of several other variously placed body shots, and the only one that would bring him down was a direct hit to the nutz.

mouser - designated marksman
coy - designated driver
scrambler - designated rich guy
DNS - designated nut shooter

you guys are something. i'd have been more respectful to yall if i had known yall were going to amount to something

Tons of gear. The trouble is deciding what to use. My current rig is an Armalite .308 with a FN 5.5-22x56 scope. I'm also prepping a DPMS .308 with a NF SHV scope. The illuminated reticle is awesome for low light shots. I've got thermal and am waiting on night vision delivery. I've also used a .22-250, a .338LM, a 450 Bushmaster, a 30-30, a 12ga, a R700 in .308. I've got night vision goggles, and a thermal monocular. The monocular is very helpful for finding hogs or determining that there are no hogs around. Much less wasted time.

This is not a cheap hobby!

Sounds like a lot of high tech gear just for a hog.

go back and look at the post about the wounded boar charge. no doubt the nut shot killed him. he shrugged of several other variously placed body shots, and the only one that would bring him down was a direct hit to the nutz.

mouser - designated marksman
coy - designated driver
scrambler - designated rich guy
DNS - designated nut shooter

you guys are something. i'd have been more respectful to yall if i had known yall were going to amount to something

Umm sounds like a group of guys that can have some fun together. Duh

Sounds like a lot of high tech gear just for a hog.

Hunting is my only escape. I can't seem to get too far away from the office and hunting helps me keep my sanity. That and my jeeps. I never take vacations, so I've used my PTO to fund my toys. I cashed in over 600 hours when I left my last job. I've got several hundred hours in my current position.

I see guns as an investment. I've never lost money on guns. If nothing else, they hold their value. I lost a lot of money when the real estate crash hit back in 2008 and decided I wasn't going to have all of my eggs in one basket anymore. I also help out a very good family friend with deer and hog control on their properties. I never paid much attention to the damage they can do since it never affected me. Seeing them plant the same fields 4 times in 6 weeks made me think that I can offer this as a service someday. I've got a lot going on with work and family now, but would like to start a business in the next few years.

Hunting is my only escape. I can't seem to get too far away from the office and hunting helps me keep my sanity. That and my jeeps. I never take vacations, so I've used my PTO to fund my toys. I cashed in over 600 hours when I left my last job. I've got several hundred hours in my current position.

I see guns as an investment. I've never lost money on guns. If nothing else, they hold their value. I lost a lot of money when the real estate crash hit back in 2008 and decided I wasn't going to have all of my eggs in one basket anymore. I also help out a very good family friend with deer and hog control on their properties. I never paid much attention to the damage they can do since it never affected me. Seeing them plant the same fields 4 times in 6 weeks made me think that I can offer this as a service someday. I've got a lot going on with work and family now, but would like to start a business in the next few years.

I can understand that, it's good to have a get away. I recently got access to a ton of property in Okeechobe Florida. I used to do some deer hunting upstate NY but since I live in florida now and have a place to shoot I figured I would try hog hunting. I don't have that much money to spend that is why I am using a 1903A3 and because it shoots very well.

I hope that I don't come across as this being a high dollar sport. That's one of the nice things about hog hunting, you don't have to have a ton of money invested to have fun.

My first gun was a 1917 30.06. I traded the gun for stereo equipment after high school. Idiot!

Lake Okeecobee is not too far from my wife's family. We'll be down there at X-mas this year.

I hope that I don't come across as this being a high dollar sport. That's one of the nice things about hog hunting, you don't have to have a ton of money invested to have fun.

My first gun was a 1917 30.06. I traded the gun for stereo equipment after high school. Idiot!

Lake Okeecobee is not too far from my wife's family. We'll be down there at X-mas this year.

Nah everyone needs a hobby, if I had more money I would have more expensive gear also. Where is your wife's family live? I'm in Boynton Beach.

O nice Lake Worth is about 10 min north of me. Maybe we can do some hunting when you come down.

I think it is kinda like any pursuit. One can have fun doing lots of things with minimal investment. I think we all got into shooting with an old rifle or shotgun, and things took off from there. I won a set of Taylor Made golf clubs at a charity golf tourney a few years ago, and my golf game still sucks!

I think that often times, we make things more complicated than they need to be. Several years ago, I made a spreadsheet showing lunar phases, sunset and sunrise times, etc. for deer hunting. I was looking for a pattern that I could use to predict when Mr. 8 Pointer was going to show up. It didn't work. Sometimes the fish don't bite, the deer don't move, and so on and so on.

I have to laugh at my luck every once in a while. I carry all this fancy gear, with see-in-the-dark toys, and I went almost 2 years without killing a pig. Granted, I only went to the places that I could hunt for free, so I limited my potential to see pigs, but I hope you get my point.

I do like playing with the toys though.

As soon as I get the baby down for the night, I'm headed to the woods to see if pork chops (see photo) wants to make an appearance.

Attachments

• Cdy00035.jpg
    Cdy00035.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 91
I don't quite know what to make of this observation. Hogs can be a very worthy quarry. They are not thriving and expanding their population and range as a result of succumbing to the ways of the hunter.

i think scrambler is that guy who buys a $50k bass boat to catch a crappie

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.