Hog Hunting in S. New Mexico?

Milton02

Hey,
So I'm trying to get into hog hunting and by all definitions, I'm a rookie at it. Nonetheless, I am a DIYer when it comes to most things, hunting included. I went out this past weekend in Weed, NM and didn't see a darn thing - I know honey holes are a closely guarded secret for some, but I was curious if any of you have had any successes in the southern New Mexico region.
I'm also not opposed to traveling to the far west edge of Texas, but the closer the better as my truck aint the best with gas mileage. Thanks for any words of wisdom, hopefully I can learn a thing or two from ya'll.
Milton

I was in Las Cruces, NM last spring. I would go talk to the local Pecan farmers and see if they have hunting. That is a big fertile valley with lots of water.

I live in Los Lunas and last month I called a few of the state and federal agencies to get some info. Well, NMGF said near Roswell the feds did some helicopter eradication, in the Lincoln County area there are some but the hunters there won't give up the secrets, non in the Las Cruces area and none in the Socorro area. Good luck.

I think 3 or 4 years ago Wildlife services did an all out blitz on hogs in eastern New Mexico. They flew and trapped everything from Portales to Clayton. They killed quite a few up around Santa Rosa.
So pickens might be a little lean in eastern New Mexico.
I Have heard there were some over south of Amarillo in the Palo Duro canyon area.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.