New hog hunt land

ok so looking for some input from fellow hunters. I've been toying with buying some property in Florida for a few years. Nothing big but a few acres to hunt and possibly do small groups.
I would do a pen hunt so you are sure to get pigs but would do it over feeders. I would also set up a few stands outside for free range stuff. I just don't want to get into an area where free range gets tough until after hours. That way you can for sure get something on a weekend hunt with friends.
So I'm thinking of doing it this year and trying to keep cost down for hunters as I have a real job. If I could get this place paid for and cover cost with a few hunts a year that would be great. So I'm leaning towards avoiding the one pig in and out hunters most places cater to. I would want groups that would be at least 4 guys or a min number of hogs. That way I don't waste my time. I really enjoy guiding so it would be fun for me also. I could manage maybe one group a month I could tell you for sure feeders would always be full and running. Because again I would be using it for my friends also so if it's good for us I'll do it. For you guys hay go in this type of group. How much do you usually spend on hunts for pigs. I'm talking pigs only cause other cost can vary. It would still be a pay per pig no weight or trophy boat fees just flat and easy.
Of course I would do a steep discount for forum members as I think it would be fun to hunt with many of you. I have an idea of how much to charge per pig that is about half what others are. Basically it would be more a value type hunt for guys that like to shoot a lot. What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance
well florida has boocoo hogs every where in manatee county.and its close to the best beaches in the world plenty of night life in tampa plenty for the kids and mom tostay busey while you hunt.so give thisarea a look i would come and lots of freinds would come allso.and if you need help setting up i would be willing to help.i am disabled so i have lots of free time,robert.garringer.

Thanks for the input so far. Still looking now just expanded my search to texas. I may take a look while I'm down next week.
Part of the other reason for Florida is as mentioned above lots of stuff for the family to do while you hunt. Very easy to find trappers willing to sell hogs at a low cost and deliver them. I'm not set on anywhere specific but Florida is incredibly cheap to fly to for most of the east coast. From Michigan I have gone down and back for $109. Most of the time it is around $200ish.

Thanks for the input so far. Still looking now just expanded my search to texas. I may take a look while I'm down next week.
Part of the other reason for Florida is as mentioned above lots of stuff for the family to do while you hunt. Very easy to find trappers willing to sell hogs at a low cost and deliver them. I'm not set on anywhere specific but Florida is incredibly cheap to fly to for most of the east coast. From Michigan I have gone down and back for $109. Most of the time it is around $200ish.
That is very good rates. im not sure but tampa and st.pete sarasota bradenton,and even lakeland. the all run good rates to the midwest.but im not sure about land prices over here conpared to the east coast.If you get a chance check out ticket prices and land. the prices are on the way up.for a good location polk county would put in the middle of the state reall good hunting and it is close to tampa and close to orlando. and there a few spots that even have hills,yes hills in florida.any if you need any thing as far as info just drop a line. good luck and have a good one.bob garringer.

Georgia too. I would hunt with you if you were in the SE. south ga is similar to north fl, and it's cheaper. I'm out of Georgia.

Thanks for the input I'm still on the search and found another piece in Florida and one in north east LA. By Shreveport. It's so tough not being able to go look at them easy.

snox have you checked into hunting laws. For example can you use lights and thermals in Florida. Oklahoma you can not. Texas you can. Plus in Texas you do not even have to have a hunting license to hunt hogs if they are causing damage.

Plus in Texas you do not even have to have a hunting license to hunt hogs if they are causing damage.

I think you need to double check that...you will need license.

Cut and paste from TP&W web site

Exotic Animals and Fowl
An exotic animal is any animal that is not indigenous to Texas, including but not limited to feral hog, Russian boar, aoudad sheep, axis deer, elk, sika deer, fallow deer, red deer, and blackbuck and nilgai antelope. An exotic fowl is any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).

There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property. It is against the law to:

• Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license.
  • Hunt an exotic on a public road or right-of-way.
  • Hunt an exotic without the landowner's permission.
  • Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner's consent.

Penalty: A person who violates these laws commits an offense. Hunting exotic wildlife without a license is a Class C misdemeanor ($25-$500 fine). The remaining listed offenses are Class A misdemeanors ($500-$4,000 and/or up to one year in jail).

The Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) regulates the movement of feral swine for disease-control purposes. For more information please call TAHC at (800) 550-8242 or visit the TAHC Web site.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/nongame-and-other-species

LA you can also use thermal and night vision. You must just call ahead and let them know. You can also use suppressors. That's what I'm looking into in each of these. The Louisiana one is less than an hour from a friend of mine I met while working out of town last summer. So I would have someone to fill feeders and keep an eye out. Only advantage to Florida right now is the Osceola turkeys. Those hunts are expensive and I know of at least 10 I could easily sell to help cover cost. I won't be doing anything in the next few weeks as my hunt is coming quick along with my sons birthday so it will be a while.

CaptnC no license needed for dogs or hogs if they are causing problems or damage. That's the key. Coyotes killing your dogs or livestock. Hogs doing the same or tearing up your crops or property.
snox I hate that having to call in. Too old for baby sitting. That is a good idea on turkeys but how much land do you have to have to take ten big gobblers? A heck of a lot in Texas.

CaptnC no license needed for dogs or hogs if they are causing problems or damage...

Good luck selling that to the game wardens here in Texas, especially if your buying hogs to stock your land! The wardens I've dealt with wouldn't buy into that!

The basic license you have to have is not very expensive, even for non-residents. I've guided many hunters from out of state for exotics here in Texas.

Good luck selling that to the game wardens here in Texas, especially if your buying hogs to stock your land! The wardens I've dealt with wouldn't buy into that!

The basic license you have to have is not very expensive, even for non-residents. I've guided many hunters from out of state for exotics here in Texas.

CaptnC go to Texas Parks and Wildlife web site then Hunting Licenses Stamps and Permits then Exceptions. And now I quote under Exceptions."A hunting license is NOT REQUIRED to hunt the following.-. Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking livestock,animals, or fowl. . Depredating feral hogs, if land owner is taking feral hogs causing depredation on landowners land." SOLD
Since the hogs in the high fence are bought and paid for and not openly released( still caged) I wonder if they are treated like Exotics and no license needed? Good question for the Game Warden.

Last edited:
Cut and paste from TP&W web site

There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property. It is against the law to:

• Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license.

geo4061,

I'm not sure how you keep coming up with not needing a license to hunt exotics...you have to have one!

When you are stocking your property with any non-indigenous species they are exotics...not pests. You also don't have people come in and pay you to remove pests for you...

if you own land in florida and you have a hog problem you do not need a license to kill the hogs you can use any type of lighting you wise i use thermal. i allso work for a farm that that is 7000 acres.and the owner gets 120 deer permits a year so you can take deer year round.

Ok on the Exotics. I hunted them in the 70's and they told me I did not need to tag. Just figured why a license. State just needs the money. Ha ha. I am still not clear on a nuisance purchased hog inside a high fence. Will call tomorrow and get a definite answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.