New to Forum, Seeking advice on rifle build

LR802

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum so first of all, hello. In my 20's, in the military, stationed in Georgia. I have shot all my life and would consider myself a good shot. I'm new to the idea of long range shooting though since I come from the northeast where shot opportunities are almost never more than 100 yards and you would have to put a significant amount of effort into finding a situation to shoot past 300 yards while hunting.

To the point though. I'm looking to build a long range hunting rifle, I have a pretty good idea what I want but would like any help or advice in pinning down the details. I'm looking to build a rifle based off of a Remington 700 short action. It's non debatable for my situation and I'm not here to get into the weeds about it. It will be used for Whitetail deer mostly, Hogs occasionally, and hopefully later on pronghorn or elk. But for now, mainly whitetails (eventually) at ranges out to 600-800 yards( given enough skill and practice behind the gun, years)and shooting paper out to 1000+. Being in the military I can't have a massive gun collection so This will be my do all rifle though I understand "that doesn't exist". I'll end up putting an aftermarket stock on, bedding it, good glass and Rebarrel. Looking for advice on caliber though. Looking at 6.5 creedmoor, .260 Remington, .308 and open to others short actions. Any input and help would be appreciated! Thanks

Personally I would go with the .260 Rem but I wouldn't hunt Elk with it unless your really close to the animal.

All right thanks, I didn't plan on long range elk with it, for the sake of the animal and human error I would step up in caliber for them. Anyone else use one of the 6.5's or 260 for hunting?

I have a 260 (actually the wifes) and a 6.5x55 swede. Both great cartridges and both plenty of gun for elk at modest ranges with the appropriate bullet. But for a short action I would recommend the creedmoor for the simple fact that it's a better fit for the action and if you don't reload it has a abundance of factory loads. Good luck

Being in the military, I would go with the 308. It will do everything you want it to.

Plus it has several advantages for your situation that the others do not.

308 ammo is ALWAYS available around any military base. Plus 308 ammo is normally more readily available and cheaper. Black Hills makes some great 175 SMK reloads. Sounds like you are not reloading too

Most military bases run either sanctioned or unofficial FTR matches and the 308 is perfect for that class, where as the 260 or creedmore put you in the Open class. You did not say where in GA, but I know Ft. Benning runs them all the time. Even from Stewart or Gordon, you are only a few hours away from matches.

Unless you happen to have an action already, you would be better off buying a good to go rifle, Ruger PRS, Savage Stealth BA and cost less and the money can be spent on a good scope and ammo. Plenty of good 308s available used on here, Snipers Hide, Accurate Shooter etc also. Many fully custom for half price of new.

Here is an excellent buy also. http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=541&f=5552&t=15172897

Alright Predator, those were some of the reasons I was leaning towards the creedmoor. And to respond to what you and bounty hunter said, I can't reload due to the rules on guns and ammo and "explosives" on military bases, so that would push me towards the creedmoor or 308 due to availability.
And about what bounty hunter said about buying a new rifle. If I decide on 308 I will most likely buy a 700 police like you linked because they shoot real well and I'm also on a budget. Budget really being so do I want to pay a grand for a rifle now or build one over the course of time but increase budget, advantage to the latter being it's exactly what I want and more accurate but would really lengthen my timeline.
I have a Remington 700 sps in 308. Standard contour barrel. So I'm planning on just using the action. That limits me to short actions but saves a lot of money.
I'm near Savannah so any matches near there whether in Georgia or over the border in South Carolina or Florida are possibilities.

Probably the .308 for all the reasons covered by BountyHunter.

The cartridges being mentioned will all serve you well. Some individual preferences exist, but for me a rifle set up the way I like, other factors over ride choosing between the 6.5-.30 short action choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.