New to Forum, from Northern California

mountainkid

How's it going out there? It's deer season here in California so life is great for me. New to the forum, but not new to shooting. I've been shooting since I was 10 years old or so, started off with a .17 HMR shooting squirrels and have done everything from SASS/cowboy shooting all the way to taking a stab at some 600 yard steel plates with my .25-06.

I really love my bolt guns and I have been shooting them in every caliber from .17 to .300 Win Mag. Lately I decided to purchase a Christensen Ridgeline chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, I am dedicating this rifle as my back country deer gun and doing everything I can to make myself deadly accurate out to 600+ but as lightweight as possible for back packing trips. I have not sent a single round through the rifle because I haven't even mounted a scope to it yet, saving for a really nice high end scope for this one. I have the Leupold VX-6 HD in mind but not opposed to other manufacturers, what do the forum experts have to say about this?

Anyways, I am more of a hunter than a shooter if that makes any sense, but I am wanting to get into the long range stuff now that I have access to a 900 yard shooting range at the house I am renting. So, I created an account to this forum just looking to pick up any tips or tricks that can help me keep up with the accuracy of the rifle I purchased.

Do you handload? Being limited to copper bullets can himder some of the long range capabilities, however there are still some very good options out there. If you hand load, I would take a look at Hammer bullets, the owner is a member on here and a good guy. His bullets are on the expensive side, but I have never heard a single bad review or experience about them, so that is the route I would go. Keep in mind your twist rate when/if you pick out a bullet to use.

As far as scope, that is an excellent scope, and what I would choose if money wasn't an issue and I wanted light weight. Another scope with similar features but a little cheaper is the Sig whiskey 5. The Nightforve SHV line may be appealing as well. But, as I said, if money wasn't a factor, the vx6hd would be my choice.

I have family in northern California as well. Red Bluff, Chico, and Los Molinos. They have been chasing a big blacktail lately.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.