Old guy new to forum from Southern California

19elkhunter51

Last year I bought a new rifle and a new scope to go elk hunting. Now I want it to shoot. Rifle: Remington 700SS 300 RUM. Scope: Leupold Mark 4 LR 4.5-14X50mm.

Old guy new to forum?

If 1951 is your birth year you ain't old. I'll tell ya what old is, me. I hatched out just before dirt was created.:)

Put together some good bullets, powder, primers and go shootin'. If the bullets are heavy, or even if they aren't, that outfit will do in an elk further than you want to walk to do the field dressin'.

Its just like ss7mm said......

oh, and welcome aboard!

Thank you royinidaho and ss7mm.

I live in north San Diego County and hunt in southwest Colorado. If you are familiar with CO we hunt in Unit 71 out of Dolores. Beautiful country and if you know where to look just tons of elk.
In the past I have taken elk with my 06, 300 WinMag. I finally got the money to buy what I think is a balance of power and accuracy. I will asking for help with loads for this rifle. I went hunting last season with 165grn Barnes TTSX bullets over 96.5grns of RL 25 stuffed in Remington brass and lit by Fed 215M primers. As the charge increased the group size decreased and then I ran out of time.
What I would like to come up with is a load that will shoot the 165grn bullets.
I have less than 80 rounds through the gun and I believe that it should shoot .375 to .500 inch groups at a 100 yards.
Anybody have much experience with this cartridge?

Thanks,

Welcome I have spent some time in San deago when I was in the NAVY just passing through.

If I were you and Im not so take this with a grain of salt I would look at a bigger bullet for a 30o rum something along the lines of the Nosler Accubond or Berger VLD in 200+ grains.

Good luck with your load work up and good luck with thouse ELK.

On a lighter note I am not old but I would not consider you old eather just more enlightned than me.

Hello icanhithimman,
I am not a fan of the heavier bullets. Don't know why; just believe the extra weight isn't necessary. Having said that I will shoot the lighter bullets until I don't think they work. My philosophy is accuracy first bullet performance second. A bullet in the eye will kill every time. A twelve inch circle with the best bullet will kill but not as fast as one to the head! I don't head shoot anymore but I am still really big on accuracy.
I have seen some post on other sites that expressed concern over the coating on the Berger bullets. My gut says there is no issue. What have you heard or know about the moly coatings?

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts