new stock

I gotta agree with MTriflemen you would be downgrading with a bc stock over the hs you have. A dowel and some sand paper will have that barrel free floating in a few minutes. If you want a new look you could repaint it. You could even have hs paint it to any color for about $80 bucks. Your used hs stock is worth about what a new bc stock will cost, so you could break even. That alone however tells me it isn't a good trade.

B&C vs others

this thread is getting off track what im asking is if you have a b&c stock do you like it? are you happy with the accuracy? does it completely float the barrel when you bolt it up first time? did you glass bed the action?

i dont think that just because something costs more it is better. though there is some degree of truth to that idea.

think about this i have also looked at mcmillan and manners stocks of similar design that cost about twice as much as the B&C does that mean they are worth twice as much for the same thing? in fact, if im not mistaken, both mcmillan and manners are pillar bedded and the B&C is full lenght block. i have not experienced the diffence in these bedding practices so i dont know if or why one is better than the other.

if money was no object i would get the jae-700 but that is 1100 more than the B&C, though that price includes all the bells and whistles a guy could want.

Last edited:
Re: B&C vs others

this thread is getting off track what im asking is if you have a b&c stock do you like it? are you happy with the accuracy? does it completely float the barrel when you bolt it up first time? did you glass bed the action?

i dont think that just because something costs more it is better. though there is some degree of truth to that idea.

think about this i have also looked at mcmillan and manners stocks of similar design that cost about twice as much as the B&C does that mean they are worth twice as much for the same thing? in fact, if im not mistaken, both mcmillan and manners are pillar bedded and the B&C is full lenght block. i have not experienced the diffence in these bedding practices so i dont know if or why one is better than the other.

if money was no object i would get the jae-700 but that is 1100 more than the B&C, though that price includes all the bells and whistles a guy could want.
sdlonggunner, Not all stocks are created equal. Just because it has full aluminum bedding doesn't mean it's a better stock than one without full aluminum bedding. Synthetic stocks are made from from different materials using different processes by the manufacturer. the HS stocks are made using better materials and process than the B&C and the McMillan is made with better products and process than the HS. Of all the experiences and reports that I have read and heard on on these stocks, I have never seen anyone rate an HS stock higher than a McMillan and I have never seen anyone rate a B&C higher than an HS. If you search the forum on this subject you will find reports of people having to work on their B&C drop-in stocks to get them to fit. be advised, if you order a B&C stock for your rifle, you may have to do some work to get it to fit your action. I have read numerous reports on this.

My smith, who has many years of experience, highly recommends a McMillan over both a B&C and an HS and he has worked with hundreds of them.

My only experience with B&C Medalist stocks are handling them in the gun stores already mounted on rifles. They seem to be very sturdy. I have two Senderos with HS stocks and they are quite sturdy and shot .5 MOA out to 500 yds stock from the factory without any additional work done to them.

If you say you are getting sag in yours when you rest it on a bi-pod or bags, I say something is definitely wrong because they will not sag under that small amount of weight. You would have to put a C-clamp on the barrel and stock to draw them together.

If your Sendero (and I'm only guessing you have a Sendero because you haven't given us much info) is not floated properly and your stock is sagging, there is something wrong. If your barrel is just a little tight in the forearm, that can be easily fixed with about 10-20 min of sanding with a dowel and sand paper. I've done it numerous times with other stocks, both wood and synthetic.

As mentioned, you can sell your HS stock for about the price of a new B&C stock, but you will be stepping down in quality. You wont have any problem selling your HS as long as you haven't done any modifications to it. And If it happens to fit a Vanguard, I will gladly trade you one of my ordered B&Cs for your HS.

Just trying to help... there is a ton of info available on this subject if you do a search.

Take care and hope it works out.

-Mark

Last edited:
first let me clear this up it is an older model sandero with the single swivel stud and rounded forend.

thanks montana rifleman. ok today i took the barrel and action out and sanded out the forend, very successfully, thanks guys. i had to find a washer for my sling swivel stud so it was no longer poking into the barrel channel. easy enough.

thanks to everyone who took the time to reply and increase my knowledge just a little bit more.

that being said im still going to upgrade the stock just going to take more time and money to be abel to go with mcmillan or j. allen. i really like the jae-700.:)
but everything is good for now.

ps you dont really want to buy this stock as i have taken the liberty of customizing it to fit me and my style of shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.