New Scope Advice

Alaskan Al

Just bought a Leupold LR 6.5X20 50mm. It has the side focus, a 30mm tube, and target turrets. Picked it up for $600 and could not be happier. Now for the hard part. I am mounting it on my tack driver custom Sako .308. I want to shoot at long range (500 plus yards). Once I zero this scope at 100 yards, do I set the turret to zero and get ballistic information for the remaining ranges? Then just click for those ranges. I shoot the 168 grain match (Federal) ammo exclusively.

[ 07-12-2004: Message edited by: Brain Dead ]

And if you are as sick as some of the rest of us you might laminate a card on the stock that gives the turret settings for different distances along with bullet drop in inches, MOA, and appropriate MIL-dot reticle data.

I would encourage you to use the ballistic predictions as a ballpark and to test the performance down range to be sure. I have found most programs to predict very well out to about 500 yards, but from there I really need to test the loads to determine point of impact.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.