New rifle Rem. 700 long range 300 RUM

MadMike

Got a new Remington 700 long-range today...found one factory Remington ammo for it and picked up a few boxes...have yet to shoot yet but will be working on break in and zeroing it soon. I'm sure the Remington ammo is not that bad but wanted your guy's opinions. 2 boxes are level iii 150 Scirroco and 2 boxes level II 180 scirroco. Does this ammo get good groups.... Will eventually hand load but need to acquire brass. What groups should I see if I do my part? Thanks for any info in advance. gun)

Got my 300rum LR in march of last year. I never tryed the Remington factory ammo in it. I ordered my reloading stuff and 4 boxes of norma factory ammo that night. I used the norma ammo for barrel break in and had brass to reload.

I don't remember what groups it shot with the factory norma ammo, I was more focused on recoil management and shooting technique.

I reload with the 200gr nosler accubonds with retumbo powder. I get average 1/2 moa groups with this load. I'm at about 900 rounds through it and it still groups great.

Only mods I've done is bed the action and a timmy 512 trigger.

I feel like the timney was a big improvement. From what I've read on this site, most guys on here prefer the jewell trigger over the timney. I haven't tryed a jewell. At the time the jewell was out of stock every where I looked, so I settled on the timney.

After the bedding dryed and I removed the action from the stock, I noticed that 90 percent of the bedding material was in the recoil lug aera. I can't really say if it helped it any but it didn't hurt to do it while I was installing the trigger

How much better is the timney over the factory.....and did it need to be bedded

I am a big Remington fan, but will be the first to tell you that the factory X-Mark Pro triggers (lawyer-approved) are the biggest pieces of garbage. I suggest putting a Timney or Jewell in as soon as you can, if you get a newer 700.

The old Rem/Walker triggers are also nice, and can be safely adjusted (by a gunsmith) to be very light and crisp, if you want something cheaper then the aftermarket triggers.

Mad, I'm right with you, same new rifle/caliber. Getting it ready for a friend, Timney trigger, bedded in a Boyd's stock, Talley lightweight 30mm mounts and a Burris Black Diamond 4X16X50 scope. It has a brake and he'll be using it for Az elk. He found 100 pc of Nosler brass, 230 Bergers and Federal 215M primers. We'll try H1000 and Retumbo using the Berger loading manual, should shoot fairly well being essentially a factory rifle for his requirement of 600 yds max. From the input here, we've concluded the 230 Berger will shoot outstanding in this caliber, but may try some 215's also. Good luck

Thanks everyone! Will probly have to run the xpro for awhile don't have the money for a trigger right now... Am currently looking for brass

I going to follow . I'm very interested in this same rifle. I agree with mad, a jewel or Timney will an improvement over the factory trigger

My brother and I both have m700 lr rifles in 300rum. He is running the 175 tmk over rl25... I am shooting the 200 eld-x over rl33 or the 180 hdy interlock over rl25...

Both rifles are solid 1/2 moa performers... Brass is rather easy to find for the 300rum if you go to nosler or hornady but it is more expensive than rp brass....

We are both running the Remington triggers in our rifles at present... I have a timney in another rifle and like it, but neither 700lr seems to have a bad trigger so why switch...

I have a hard time finding brass... And don't see a problem with the factory trigger so far would like to use the eld-x

I have a hard time finding brass... And don't see a problem with the factory trigger so far would like to use the eld-x

New Federal .300 RUM Brass

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/Item/0001320174792?Tk=DFAM

300 Remington Ultra Magnum- MidwayUSA

Only ammo variant was actually in stock at Midway... what???

This is actually the worst 300 rum brass availability I've seen for a good while...
Midsouth shooter supply also has some 7rum brass that could be necked up, but at $2+ a casing you ought to be able to get your brass in the correct headstamp...

I have one in .300 Win Mag that I bedded and topped with a Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 and a one piece DNZ Tactical mount. I shoot IMR 7828ssc in it with 208gr A-MAXs and my best group with it is .176 so far. I tried 190 SMKs but I couldn't get them to shoot and I look forward to shooting 200gr ELD-X bullets in it. I chose the Win Mag over the RUM because of brass availability at the time. These rifles will shoot well and the only change I might make is to put a Timney in it, but my factory trigger is a very crisp and clean 3lbs.

Jud I have adjusted mine down to the min. Pull. Wanting to see how it shoots before I decide on bedding it or not

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.