New rifle build

A_Baker

I want to have a long range rig built and was wondering if it would be cheaper for me to buy the components(borden action,broughton5c barrel,macmillan stock,ect..) and have a reputable smith take it from there,or get with Kirby,or Shaun and buy one of theres. What i want is a LRR in 300RUM. Any advice from the guys here would be awesome. I dont post here much,but i do listen.

you would have to ask the particular smith, but the one i asked said he could save me some money if he purchased everything himself. i imagine he might make a little more as well as saving me a little, so it sounded like a win, win.

bottom line, ask your smith what they prefer. and good luck with your build

I read a post by Kirby that said that when a customer shot one of his personal rifles the customer's offer couldn't be ignored and the rifle went down the road. I don't think that method would be the least expensive.

The other option you mention is to acquire the components yourself and send them to the smith. I would suppose that the rifle smith could get a bit of a better deal on components than an individual, but I feel that bit of an extra margin should go to the smith. Some of the smiths here bill very conservatively and deserve every break they can get.

My current build, components being piled up at Kirby's shop as I post, is a pretty much total LRH.com rifle. The action, barrel and scope base came from Earl in Florida. The stock came from TMR. Rings and one of these days the scope came/will come from BJ/Lerch. I think I still need an ADL trigger guard. Havent seen any posted lately and may have to resort to Sinclair or some one.

The only downside of this method is you have to get what is for sale. I would rather have a Lilja bbl than the Pac Nor but I doubt I'll be able to notice the difference, if there is a difference.

Regardless of the components, I would suppose that all of the top of the line, are pretty much equal, the secret is the rifle smith. I think you'll find the best of the best lurking around here.

I emailed Kirby the other day and inquired about one of his rifles,and he sent me some pics of his art,needless to say im now putting away some money for one of his. And im extremley envious of those who shoot one of his rifles or one of Shauns for that matter. I do alot of lurking here and i gotta say the people here are a knowledgeable and are willing to share there experiences with us that are less experinced.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts