New Rifle Build - Light and Suppressed

DirtNap35

I'm looking for something different for my next build as most of my rifles are pretty similar with style and weight, being 26" steel barrel with 2 tone flutes and weigh in the 9-10 range with scope. Currently in the works I have LPR 300 NMi and 338 Reaper with 26" steel barrels.

On this new build I'm going with a 7 PRC+P and plan to use 180 eldm's. I will be getting a Nomad LTi XC to run suppressed. Trying to decide on length of barrel and material type. Should I get 20", 22", or 24"? What speeds would you expect with a +P and a 180 eldm? What about carbon vs steel? I currently have both and my carbon barrel whips so violently it's crazy and it gets hot about 6 rounds in. Compare that to my Bartlein 3B I can shoot that thing 10 shots without any cooldown and it straight stacks them in one hole. Only reason I'm considering carbon is because of the weight, but does a carbon barrel really weigh any less compared to a fluted steel barrel? Goal weight of bare rifle would be 6.5-7 pounds.

Last edited:
My current in progress build from LPR is similar in thought process. I ended up going with a CF 22 inch barrel so there would be more rigidity and blend barrel with suppressor. 22 inch seems to be the acceptable length for NOT feeling too long and still having adequate speed. My opinion anyway. Good luck.

I'm looking for something different for my next build as most of my rifles are pretty similar with style and weight, being 26" steel barrel with 2 tone flutes and weigh in the 9-10 range with scope. Currently in the works I have LPR 300 NMi and 338 Reaper with 26" steel barrels.

On this new build I'm going with a 7 PRC+P and plan to use 180 eldm's. I will be getting a Nomad LTi XC to run suppressed. Trying to decide on length of barrel and material type. Should I get 20", 22", or 24"? What speeds would you expect with a +P and a 180 eldm? What about carbon vs steel? I currently have both and my carbon barrel whips so violently it's crazy and it gets hot about 6 rounds in. Compare that to my Bartlein 3B I can shoot that thing 10 shots without any cooldown and it straight stacks them in one hole. Only reason I'm considering carbon is because of the weight, but does a carbon barrel really weigh any less compared to a fluted steel barrel? Goal weight of bare rifle would be 6.5-7 pounds.
If LPR is building it for you, I would go with Dallas Lane's recommendation.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have the bases covered for LR and ELR already. If a new build will be purpose based and focuses on a lighter weight carry rifle, I would consider sacrificing a little top end speed and focus on ease of carry when suppressed. 20" or 22" would be a good length IMO. CF definitely shaves some weight compared to similar contoured steel barrels. The CF can tend to trap heat a bit more than all steel, but can be managed by limiting shot strings. It boils down to personal preference and purpose. I've been giving a shorter barreled 7 some thought lately. I'm leaning toward a 7SAUM with a 20" barrel. Spiral flute to save a little weight because I don't have a rifle in this configuration.
Keep us posted.

My current in progress build from LPR is similar in thought process. I ended up going with a CF 22 inch barrel so there would be more rigidity and blend barrel with suppressor. 22 inch seems to be the acceptable length for NOT feeling too long and still having adequate speed. My opinion anyway. Good luck.
Nice. I'm leaning to a 22" so I don't give up to much velocity. The Nomad LTi XC is 8" length and weighs 10oz. That would put me at 30" which sounds about right.

It sounds like you have the bases covered for LR and ELR already. If a new build will be purpose based and focuses on a lighter weight carry rifle, I would consider sacrificing a little top end speed and focus on ease of carry when suppressed. 20" or 22" would be a good length IMO. CF definitely shaves some weight compared to similar contoured steel barrels. The CF can tend to trap heat a bit more than all steel, but can be managed by limiting shot strings. It boils down to personal preference and purpose. I've been giving a shorter barreled 7 some thought lately. I'm leaning toward a 7SAUM with a 20" barrel. Spiral flute to save a little weight because I don't have a rifle in this configuration.
Keep us posted.
I was originally thinking a short suppressed 338, but like you mentioned I have my bases covered with the Norma and Reaper so to me it makes sense to go with a 7, something I don't have. I had my mind made up on going CF barrel but then I listened to a podcast on Shoot2hunt and they have me second guessing myself. I only have 1 CF so my experience is limited but everything they described I have experienced. Would like to know what a 22" CF weighs compared to 22" steel fluted?

I have a 6# 6.5 PRC.Its great to pack and timber hunt, Im hopping to get a 5-6 '' suppressor for it as light as possible. Its 22''

Carbon barrels really only save weight compared to a similar profiled barrel. However it does give a little more meat for suppressor mounting and looks better as well.