New Muzzle Brake

jkupper

Ok, this is not to start another debate on whether or not to put a brake on a rifle, but rather to help and be informative for those who may be considering a brake. I recently bought a Remington 700 SPS in 7RM. I shot 40 rounds through the rifle to break the barrel in, and the recoil was too much to hold the sight picture after the shot. I have never had a muzzle brake before, but this was going to be my first long range (400-1000 yard) rifle, so I decided that I needed a brake put on the gun. I sent it to Accuracy Systems Inc. out of Byers, CO and had them install a ASI 3 port Maxi brake on it. When I got the gun back last Friday I was extremely excited to go shoot it. I took it out to the range on Sunday with 40 rounds of test loads. The difference was extraordinary to say the least! The recoil was comparable to my 243 now! I did not notice a huge increase in the report of the rifle, though I could feel the concussion of the brake on each shot. Having never had a brake before I did not expect this, and it did startle me a little on the first fouling shot. I kept shooting through my test loads, and I was able to find two combinations of H-1000 and the Berger 168 gr. VLD's that shot under 1/2 MOA, one of which was a single hole of about .30 caliber size! After shooting all 40 test rounds I was not even slightly sore or flinchy!

As I said, I'm not trying to start a debate, just trying to provide some insight for those, like myself, who have never had a brake on a rifle. It was soooooo pleasant that I am considering putting one on my 30-06, even though I have no trouble maintain my sight picture with that rifle. Extra noise is acceptable, and it makes the shooting experience so much more enjoyable. I didn't think it could get better pre-brake:D If you are thinking about it, I would recommend trying a brake.

Kudos to Accuracy Systems! Their work was flawless, and I appreciated the customer service as a newby!

Joe

I've shot breaks for along time and thought they were the only way to go. Just yesterday I shot a buddies suppressed 300 and wow. Its like a brake with no concussion and the sound of a rimfire. I would say if you can get them in your state to give them a try

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.