New model 70, by FNH?

JOHNNIE WALKER

I'm kicking the idea around about buying a new rifle. Naturally family priorities won't let me get what I really want, but as usual, I'm fine with that. I've starting to put a Wyoming elk hunt together and I'm thinking about getting a 300 wsm. I'm a big savage fan but I kind of want to try something different. I read that the new model 70s are now made by FNH. I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with these?

I have one of the new FN built M70 rifles (stainless featherweight), and a few older M70's too. I like mine, and had to do some work on it to get it to where I wanted it.

The new trigger needs some work. Its not bad for a factory trigger, but I could not adjust it down to where I wanted it with the factory spring. I changed the spring for an Ernie The Gun Smith spring, now it is just under 3 lbs. It is nice and smooth now.

Mine has been really fussy with loads. The best so far has been the Hornady Superformance 165gr GMX loads (30-06). These are around 1" at 100 yards.

Quailty has been good, just look closely. If I had the money to buy again, I would look at them again.

FN made them in SC from 2008 to about last year. They are not assembled in Portagul, with US made parts.

I ran a factory FN built extreme weather 300 WSM for quite a while. My best load was a 210 Berger .005 of the lands with 7828ssc in Norma brass at 2830 fps. It actually shot really well. I had it rebarreled to a longer heavier contour last year.

I prefer the M70 action for the WSM because you can load out to just past 3.00" without going to a long action.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.