New Mexico Oryx guide

Blackdirt Cowboy

Well I got lucky and drew an oryx tag in Mew Mexico. Has anyone here drawn that tag before? If so, are there any guides you'd recommend? I'm pretty sure I don't want to DIY this hunt.

I have hunted them twice. I live just west of there on I-10 a ways. This is the on range once in a lifetime hunt?

If it is on range, you will have no problem finding Oryx. Just keep track of the emails sent to you by the coordinator and follow his info that he sends you very carefully. If you have any other questions just PM me. I don't know of any guides for it.

You don't need a guide for the Mcgregor hunt. There is plenty of oryx. You need to be able to glass, shoot( likely standing off rest). Only thing a good guide will help is the trophy lay judging. If you want one look at Graham guide service. Get Kenny or Joe as your guide they, know how to judge and hunt oryx

Another option is Justin Medina of NM Arrowhead Outfitters. I believe he did at least one hunt on McGregor this past season. I have hunted off range with him twice, as well as elk, antelope, deer and most recently barbary sheep. check out his website & facebook pages.

Well I got lucky and drew an oryx tag in Mew Mexico. Has anyone here drawn that tag before? If so, are there any guides you'd recommend? I'm pretty sure I don't want to DIY this hunt.

I got my 37" bull DIY on McGregor on the January hunt this year. Send a PM if you need details on what to expect.
20200113_221052.jpg

So I'm a bit curious... not that I don't like the idea of hunting Oryx but why are they in NM.?? Not knowing, certainly, but imagining that food and water sources for native animals are scarce enough without them having to compete with non-native species. Can someone educate me? Apologies to the the OP if this is hijacking his thread.

Not hijacking at all. Apparently the state turned them loose in the late 60s into areas that didn't already have a large native population. Today they mostly reside on the Air Force missile ranges, particularly White Sands Missile Range and the McGregor missile range. There is a small off range population, but not enough disrupt the native habitat.

They were brought in for hunting purposes. In fact the NM game and fish brought in multiple African species and raised in Red Rock to see which ones could handle the conditions. Oryx handled the winters better than Kudo, and a few others.

The Oryx can live and thrive in the desert environment where not much native ungulate wildlife lived. WSMR has very limited water and Oryx can survive with out water for long periods. Interesting how they were better adaptive than the native wildlife. They have made a great resource. Siberian and Persian Ibex were introduced in the same way. The Siberian's didn't make it but the persian(bezoar) thrived.

interesting way to extend the hunting opportunities. the scientists of the future are going to dig up the bones someday and go "***??" LOL!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.