New Mexico bans the use of scopes

You do realize that people have been using scoped muzzleloaders to take game at extended range for over 150 years right? All this does is allow the state to sell more tags while killing less elk and the fact that they didn't allow red dots or 1x scopes, which allow for more accurate shot placement rather than add effective range, just proves it.
Not like this tho…yes there have been scopes and muzzleloaders for a long time. But as I said in another thread I'm actually all for this. Because the whole point of muzzleloader hunters getting a special season is that it's supposed to be more challenging. And there are muzzleloading setups now that my dads old iron sighted 30-30 couldn't possibly keep up with accuracy wise or power wise. So why should those with that kind of set up get a better season?

Or will this reduce the amount of kills, or leave more wounded elk to run off and die later and rot, some people only know what they read in books. No common sense
Indeed, some people have no common sense to know when they shouldn't pull the trigger, with or without a scope. I do not believe that scopes in and of themselves reduce the amount of wounded animals. Instead they're just as liable to give false confidence to people who aren't half as good as they think they are and wound animals from much farther away. The ethics issue of knowing when you shouldn't shoot doesn't change based on sights used even if the kind of shots you can take does. Just get closer during muzzleloader season, if you can't just hunt during centerfire rifle season like the other hunters not getting special treatment.

Last edited:
Not like this tho…yes there have been scopes and muzzleloaders for a long time. But as I said in another thread I'm actually all for this. Because the whole point of muzzleloader hunters getting a special season is that it's supposed to be more challenging. And there are muzzleloading setups now that my dads old iron sighted 30-30 couldn't possibly keep up with accuracy wise or power wise. So why should those with that kind of set up get a better season?

Because we decided that the seasons should be broken down into archery, muzzleloader and rifle rather than dividing them by their effective range. My 1873 in .45 colt has less effective range than a flintlock and not much more than a bow but since it is centerfire it is limited to only the firearms season.

Because we decided that the seasons should be broken down into archery, muzzleloader and rifle rather than dividing them by their effective range. My 1873 in .45 colt has less effective range than a flintlock and not much more than a bow but since it is centerfire it is limited to only the firearms season.
If a hunter is capable of shooting elk at long range , whatever that might be , don't you think he can figure out how too quick attach a scope too a muzzle loader when needed , then remove it too make it open sights again. That law will only punish law abiding hunters that has the sense too shoot at the capable distance of muzzle loaders . Always just follow the money . I bet the anti gunners and anti hunters had a little say in this new law.

Well down south here we went from traditional ML's with no scopes to scoped inlines, to black powder cartridge rifles then to any single shot rifle 35 caliber or larger. So now a scoped 35
Whelen is legal for primitive weapon. So basically it's a single shot rifle season.

The challenge was to find a muzzle loader that Joe blow could shoot as well as a gunwerks. I guess if you think a flintlock with a wood stock and black powder is the same as an inline with smokeless pellets, a carbon fiber stock, modern 15x scope…well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree…. If we lived closer and had access to both rifles, I'd bet my house the 99/99 people could shoot the gunwerks better. I'm shocked we're even arguing about it.
1666154591232.png

Most of the people here couldn't hit a 2000 yard target with a modern rifle, let alone a muzzle loader, yet they were doing it in 1857. I can't believe we're still discussing this either.

So why should those with that kind of set up get a better season?
So youth rifle seasons before muzzleloader are a no go too? Why should anyone be able to use a rifle during the better part of the season? There's always going to be something everyone is not happy with. With archers it was compounds, then crossbows. Now this. So people with less than perfect eyes get handicapped because it's no longer purist? Some regulations just don't make a lot of sense.

So youth rifle seasons before muzzleloader are a no go too? Why should anyone be able to use a rifle during the better part of the season? There's always going to be something everyone is not happy with. With archers it was compounds, then crossbows. Now this. So people with less than perfect eyes get handicapped because it's no longer purist? Some regulations just don't make a lot of sense.
Lol!!! Now it's the people that can't see well? Streeeeeeetch…

I guess the fat guys should take atv off road…

The old guys should get them too…

The guys that just aren't good hunters should get special seasons…

And everyone can get a participation trophy.

Once again you're picking the most extreme case and trying to extrapolate that into the norm. 🤦🏻‍♂️
And a Gunwerks rifle isn't? Dude, my friends and I, we all shoot Savages and Rugers with some Remingtons sprinkled in. A GW ML is an extreme case to us, the average Joe Shmoe.

I can certainly understand this perspective on the matter.

And I also understand this perspective and lean more towards this

And apparently your not there….YET with aging eye issues. One day though you will understand.