New Member - Just Saying Hello

Welcome Rick, nice buck. I don't even consider myself a long range hunter, YET.
But tons of valuable information and often, some hilarious conversations.
What part of TX?
I'm up north west of Dallas not to far from the red river, that's where the profile pic came from. Definitely not any long range hunting on that deer lease! He was maybe 80 yards or so when I shot him. Luckily I was in my ground blind and not my tree stand, all I would have been able to do was watch him walk away from my tree stand.

What part are you close to? That's a nice Axis too, and really good eating!

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say hello and thank you for everything that is already posted.

While I am not new to long range shooting, I will admit that I am very out of practice. 15 years ago I was a comfortable 1,000 yard shooter, today 4-500 is about my max for hunting purposes. Life and the Army not paying for all of the toys/ammo did put a damper on the shooting.

Current setups are a 300 WM and gathering the parts for a 6.5x284 build. My wife is also so happy about both of them! Sarcasm should be noted there.

After a few of the rabbit holes I jumped down so far, I think there might be another build in the not to distant future. It will probably be less of a hunting build and more of a bench rest gun. I don't see me hunting much that the 300 won't put down, that might change anywhere from 5 days to 5 years though.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for having me on here!
Welcome to the forum Rick glad to have you. shooting is a perishable skill but I'm sure it will come back to you very quickly

I'm up north west of Dallas not to far from the red river, that's where the profile pic came from. Definitely not any long range hunting on that deer lease! He was maybe 80 yards or so when I shot him. Luckily I was in my ground blind and not my tree stand, all I would have been able to do was watch him walk away from my tree stand.

What part are you close to? That's a nice Axis too, and really good eating!
I'm 2 1/2 hours down stream, in Bowie County.
Axis from Rock Springs.

I'm 2 1/2 hours down stream, in Bowie County.
Axis from Rock Springs.
I've walked the woods in your area before with a buddy at his dad's place. I was not prepared with my .270, should have the 30-30. Man those woods can be thick.

Hunted at a place between Sonora and Del Rio several years ago. Saw some nice axis there, but all I could afford was a meat hunt. Took two Axis does, that meat was not given away!

Taken some pictures of some real nice Axis since then but the timing was always wrong. They were either in velvet or I was hunting with someone else who had first dibs. If it will load, I'm going to try to add my favorite picture that I took 3 years ago.

Attachments

• 417D365A-FA8E-4245-A724-349F5DC80BE1.jpeg
    417D365A-FA8E-4245-A724-349F5DC80BE1.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 22
I've walked the woods in your area before with a buddy at his dad's place. I was not prepared with my .270, should have the 30-30. Man those woods can be thick.

Hunted at a place between Sonora and Del Rio several years ago. Saw some nice axis there, but all I could afford was a meat hunt. Took two Axis does, that meat was not given away!

Taken some pictures of some real nice Axis since then but the timing was always wrong. They were either in velvet or I was hunting with someone else who had first dibs. If it will load, I'm going to try to add my favorite picture that I took 3 years ago.
I sure understand.
I was after whitetail and was not prepared to take the axis financially.
But
When, he walked out of the brush, antlers towering over everything around him, I immediately texted my wife and told her my hunt was going to cost a bit more than planned.
I'm waiting on the mount to be completed.

And the fellow I was with said, those in velvet are highly sought after.

Lots of good stuff like this on this site. Enjoy.