New LR Bench Rig

It weighs just under 7 pounds.
barnesuser28 nailed it :)
michael-jackson.gif

Prepped my 41 fireformed cases last night for load development, prepped 100 cases for neck turning, adn then set up my resize die to neck down and create a false shoulder.
The neck turning will be the slowest part for sure.

My hunting buddy Steve surprised me on Saturday saying he would be able to come up for a couple of days. We have been playing catch-up and finishing all of the brass prep work for the Long Dasher:
Use a K&M 6.5 Expandiron die and slightly open up the necks for the correct diameter to use the K&M Neck Turner. Neck turn to correct diameter. Size the neck down to 6mm, but not all the way. Just partially to create a false shoulder. Chamfered necks and cleaned the inside of the necks. Primed with CCI Small Rifle Mag primers and will try a couple of loads to see how the fireform loads will shoot in terms of accuracy.
Also doing a ladder on formed brass in .2 increments and plan to shoot in the morning at 300 yards.
Hopefully I can find a decent load with the brass that has yet to be formed, so I can use it at 500 yards. Time will tell.
Real curious to see what I get in terms of accuracy and MV out of a 15 barrel with the 105's.
After brass is formed I will square up the mouth of the case and chamfer again.

Did a ladder load development today at 300 yards. Had full value wind at around 8mph, but that speed was not constant. The vertical on the top group was right at 1/2". That was pleasing. Steve and I expected the wind to give us fits horizontally.

After some more loading I took the top four numbers and loaded 8 of each ( 5 for group and 3 for getting some MV info. Wind had changed, was stronger with more gusting. Shot again at 300 yards. Best group had four shots right at 1/4MOA with one going higher. On all four groups the vertical was higher than when doing the ladder in the morning. That was to be expected, but I still wanted better, even though the conditions were not in my favor.
105 hybrid @ 2888 fps. Took some of the other rounds (9 in all) and shot at 400 yards and was able to put several shots on top of each other on steel, which is always gratifying. Then I went out to 500 yards with fire forming loads, but soon had to give up becasue of excessive wind and rain.
Will load some more of my chosen load and adjust the OAL 10 thou longer and then 10 thou less to see if I can tighten things up a bit more.

"Batman"

Quick run down of how "Batman" (The name my wife gave this SP) did this week at the Sundance LR Handgun Comp.
We were fortunate to take first in all three distances: 500, 750 and 1,000 yards.
This is in the Light Pistol division.
We had some crazy winds this week
My best 5-shot groups at distance were:
500 yards: 2.445"
750 yards: 4" and change (can't remember now-I'm TIRED).
1000 yards: 7.5"
These are not amazing groups, but considering the wind we had, I am very pleased. On Thursday my full value correction for wind was over 20 mph and the wind at the bench was 9-13 mph...It was really blowing hard closer to the target:D
I decided to spot for myself for all of 500 and all of the 1000 yard groups.
Bob Baker (Freedom Arms) spotted for me at the 750 yard distances.
Batman tracks so good, that I could spot my own shots!

Eric Wallace (Nawakwa Accuracy) builds amazingly accurate SP's

I hope you can come to Sundance and shoot with us. We would love to have you.

We also did a 10-shot group at a 1000 yards in the relay because of impending weather and Batman had a 11.25" group and my heavy pistol (7WSM) had a 8" group for 10 shots.

I have had a number of people ask me this last week about the stock construction.
Two machined down aluminum pillars, foam, and carbon fiber.
Not sure what type of foam.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.