New Longest Confirmed Sniper Kill

I too did a little searching and there are companies that make adjustable bases, 150-300 MOA and 72/144 mils. So the issue about dialing up enough adjustment is addressed in my opinion. As far as the shot, the sniper's ability's and lest we not forget his spotter. This was a true example of a "Team" effort. I would guess that the spotter was also working with another close in observer. Skill, no doubt about it. Luck, absolutely. Training beyond what anyone other than military snipers can imagine, experience, and knowing your equipment. Outstanding!! That sniper and his spotter would say, we are just doing our job.

While we're having a nice calm chat about it, why don't I throw some gas on this fire. Actually, this is just info, much of which is of PURE academic interest. If you know better, call BS and provide your data.

So, there's a report out that's being claimed as authentic which says 113mrad of up was necessary. FYI, that would be like aiming 1100ft over the target with buckhorn type iron sights. Great googly moogly, right?

My own estimation is closer to 85mrad of up. That report I mentioned also claims they used a very specific API round which is identical, fortunately, to the MK211 Raufoss whose ballistics are very well known. I did the math on that load and no combination of reasonable MV and atmospheric factors I could twist together allowed for anything like that distance and that DOPE to coexist. In fact I couldn't get it to that distance above 300fps at all, when I got it there it needed from 40% more to several times that amount of up and I played with some really thin atmospherics just to get it there at 300fps which is where I start calling the line between simply dangerous and potentially lethal on an object of that mass and density. So, I'm calling 100% BS on that specific report (if you really want the link I'll dig it out, pm me, feeling lazy right now).

There are of course a number of conflicting reports from guys that know guys that know this other guy that etc... that specifies that they used the 750gn A-Max sniper load that I spec'd though at a marginally higher (2 digits) velocity. It is likely that because of dynamic destabilization inside the transonic zone that the bullets were becoming increasingly unstable after 2.2km which would manifest itself as additional drag from the shooters point of view so it would be entirely possible to need to dial up radically higher and very suddenly; to say 113mrad, with the A-Max load to hit at 3.5km. It would also be still going over 500fps which is definitely lethal. It's also equally possible that a scenario unlike anything bandied about so far occurred, nobody knows squat and Rex and I basically used our combined knowledge to take a good swing at explaining that without the incredible skill and teamwork brought to bear that day combined with tons of luck and quite a few rounds of ammo it would have never happened.

To the question about shooting from somewhere high up... the highest structure of any kind in Iraq is around 1600ft tall, it's a radio/tv mast of some sort. The tallest building there is about 50 stories IIRC (there are no tall buildings of any useful height at all in Afghanistan that I can find record of). From the radio mast the angle of fire would be about -8 degrees which brings the angle cosine to over .99 (so over 99% of the up is still needed). If from the tallest building it would have been about -1.6deg (over 99.99% of up still needed). Both of which are seriously close to level as you can see by the True Range vs Actual Horizontal Range numbers that come out of those percentages. It wouldn't matter in the slightest because the target is just too far away to have a structure tall enough to matter. For example, at 20 degrees angle of fire the drop would be equal to a flat shot at around 2400, much more inside the rifles range. To do that against a target at 3500m distance you'd have to take a shot from the top of a building 30% taller than the Burj Khalifa. You'll only encounter elevation really mattering at somewhat more pedestrian ranges because Pythagoras is a total jerk.

Quite a few comments and miss information about the Canadian sniper shot.
There are no more Canadian Forces in Afganistan. The JTF 2 group are on par with
the Brit SAS&SBS, they go ,they do , they come home.The sniper training in the Canadian Forces is second to none in quality and results. International compatitions involving Canadian Forces are never published for security reasons.
So for all the armchair talk about true or false, where & how is just that, talk.

The report that I read said, that there was a video of the kill.
It also said a hornady bullet was used, but not which one. Could it be possible that he filmed it himself with a hornady bullet cam round.?

International compatitions involving Canadian Forces are never published for security reasons.
So for all the armchair talk about true or false, where & how is just that, talk.

Hello,

Care to make a wager on that?
Would an international government entity competition website with their pictures be enough proof for you to retract that statement?

All other statements hold true lol

THEIS

Hello,

BG..can you please advise as to projectile weight, BC, MV and meteorological data you using?

I can come up VERY CLOSE to their reported numbers, running REAL raufoss specs BUT nowhere close running Amax specs.

671gr
.670 G1 BC
2905fps measured at 78 feet from muzzle as per ATK
8mph 90degree wind value
100F Temp
500ASL
Standard atmospheric conditions because I am too lazy to pull the corrected pressure numbers lol
100 meter zero
3540 meter POI
111.3 Mil Up
6.7 Mils Side
10.7 sec/TOF
745 ft/lbs energy at POI

Also important to know the Mk211 is known to be ambient temp sensitive.

THEIS

Last edited:
I bow to your expertise in this, I should have said they don't mention scores. Back in the 1970s competitions were noted but scores were not, so todays military is much different than
my time. sorry for the screwup, age takes its toll.

Hello,

Here is the Canadian SF unit that won 3rd place at the 2016 International Warrior Competition in Jordan at KASOTC.

Also..Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

THEIS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170627-193433.jpg
    Screenshot_20170627-193433.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 28
Every time one of these reports surfaces we find an influx of sniper wannabes clambering to use the 1000 yard range. The challenge of learning to manage the cross winds eventually thins out the crowd but it's still not a pretty sight.
Those 50 cal. pills do a very good job. Congrats. to the Canadian sniper for a job well done. Credit to the Canadian sniper training program. gun)

I am puzzled at what you say. Why would we discourage an influx of new shooters?

Hello,

BG..can you please advise as to projectile weight, BC, MV and meteorological data you using?

I can come up VERY CLOSE to their reported numbers, running REAL raufoss specs BUT nowhere close running Amax specs.

671gr
.670 G1 BC
2905fps measured at 78 feet from muzzle as per ATK
8mph 90degree wind value
100F Temp
500ASL
Standard atmospheric conditions because I am too lazy to pull the corrected pressure numbers lol
100 meter zero
3540 meter POI
111.3 Mil Up
6.7 Mils Side
10.7 sec/TOF
745 ft/lbs energy at POI

Also important to know the Mk211 is known to be ambient temp sensitive.

THEIS

Sure enough. For the Raufoss:
60f @ 27inHg (also experimented down to 15inHg)
58% RH,
671gn,
.581bc G1(just what I found online, so this was a matter of some question for me)
100m zero
2900fps
3500m POI (I didn't break down and do 3450 because I do this in excel and I'm lazy too)
If I drop your BC in I get very similar numbers. Had that BC been one I'd found, I'd have used it. The drop numbers I got were disregarded because they were starting to hit 400mrad, then 5xx, then >1400 and remaining velocity went below 300fps.

For the A-Max I used 2650fps, 1.05BC, I increased the drag decay coefficient (see Pejsa model and Mayewski number stuff, uggh level math) to deal with the BC being over 1.0, and used the same atmospherics as above and got 84.47 drop (a subsonic value which I'm skeptical of anyway) and 7.4mrad of 10mph wind plus a huge amount of horizontal coriolis and spin drift (combined they're 8mrad more of windage).

So far I've had exactly 2 discussions where anyone bothered to do some numbers, so thanks Theis. The BC info for the Mk211 does change things. I need to play with that a bit to comment but I'm at work and need to jump off for a minute. I'll jump back in as soon as I have a chance as your data deserves a proper look for sure.

Story states the sniper fired from a "high-rise". I think the sniper was on.an Afgan mountain side and the target was in the valley. The sniper could have easily been 1000 ft or more above the target. Sniper might not have had an issue with getting holdover correct and keeping the target in the scope.

BallisticsGuy

Great video with T-Rex

How would a 15 or so degree down angle affect the ballistics and MRad adjustments?

Ok, had a second to tinker. Even with a .671bc and 2905fps (and It looks like we were within a few hundred feet on air density) and dropping to 60f and 26.2inHg to bring our DA's to parity (by my chart that's right anyway, my chart is experimental so call BS if there is some) the numbers are up in the 300mils territory for 3500m. Need to see if I buggered something up in my inputs, maybe try thinning out the air even more.

BallisticsGuy

Great video with T-Rex

How would a 15 or so degree down angle affect the ballistics and MRad adjustments?
Not much, a couple hundred meters of effective range. Once you start passing 20 degrees though things get serious pretty fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.