New load development Berger 168 .284

Thanks, it is a cull buck on there land, he has a 22" spread. The lowest powder charge and working the seating first is what Berger recommended to me when I called them.

Thanks, it is a cull buck on there land, he has a 22" spread. The lowest powder charge and working the seating first is what Berger recommended to me when I called them.
Thanks. Wish they'd have put that in their document, but glad to know.

I've done it both ways seating depth test then charge weight and charge then seating depth. Don't think it matters too much. If you have a chrono and can check your SD and ES at the same time it eliminates the need for a lot of testing. All my Berger's shoot at .020-.050 off. I try not to go any closer than .020 with a hunting RD.

I've done it both ways seating depth test then charge weight and charge then seating depth. Don't think it matters too much. If you have a chrono and can check your SD and ES at the same time it eliminates the need for a lot of testing. All my Berger's shoot at .020-.050 off. I try not to go any closer than .020 with a hunting RD.
I have a labradar that I'm just starting to use. I've been reloading for a number of years, but definitely a newbie and just now starting to get more interested. I've done more reading than actual loading. Slowly but surely learning more and more.

If you have a Labradar then you have a Cadillac of chronies.. It will definitely show you what is the most consistent loads, my chrony is the optical version and the most accurate load produced high ES and SD, the next most accurate produced very good ES at 12 and SD at 8. Definitely use it when doing your load development.

Whether you do the Berger method or some variation of it, I recommend doing the seating first. This distance will be the same no matter the powder generally. So its a good piece of info. I'd start at .010 off or mag length and go shorter from there. Then find max pressure doing a ladder test and work down from there to find the highest velocity node. Sounds like you have a good handle on things and are set up well. Let us know how it turns out.

Whether you do the Berger method or some variation of it, I recommend doing the seating first. This distance will be the same no matter the powder generally. So its a good piece of info. I'd start at .010 off or mag length and go shorter from there. Then find max pressure doing a ladder test and work down from there to find the highest velocity node. Sounds like you have a good handle on things and are set up well. Let us know how it turns out.
I will, thanks

Powder charge first..then seating depth. If you start off in a scatter node, no amount seating depth adjustments will make it shoot worth a darn......Mag length or .010 off is good places to start.

Powder charge first..then seating depth. If you start off in a scatter node, no amount seating depth adjustments will make it shoot worth a darn......Mag length or .010 off is good places to start.
That too makes very good sense. A lot of different thoughts on this approach. I see the benefits of both ways, which is why I asked in the first place. I definitely appreciate each person explaining their logical reasoning for their approach.
Thanks!!!!

I load my Bergers long, so I essentially have a singe shot. That's usually all you need. I back it up with shorter Barnes bullets that shoot almost as well, and to the same POI at shorter ranges.

I load my Bergers long, so I essentially have a singe shot. That's usually all you need. I back it up with shorter Barnes bullets that shoot almost as well, and to the same POI at shorter ranges.
Great idea, never thought of running two different coal. Thanks

I'm assuming you have a saami chamber.
I would load .010 off the lands work up untill you start to see pressure back off from there .5 and then work backwards .010 on your seating depth and fine tune .005.
You'll never get close to mag box length before you hit the lands with a saami chamber

I did this with the 180gr VLDH on my Rem 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag, start .01 and find the load it likes then play with seating depth.

Stay safe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.