New load development Berger 168 .284

00juice

Hi,
I'm about to start load development for some 168 VLD Berger's for my 7RM. I've read the making it shoot bulletin. I've decided to start development with H1000. Should I start with a random jump and work charge development first? Or should I start with a minimum charge and develop jump first?
I've shot Berger's vld in my 25-06, and they shot great at a random jump just doing charge development. Though it's sounds like I just got lucky on the jump that time.

suggestions please.

If you have worked up a load before and have an idea of how it likes the bullet seated that may be a start.

Otherwise I would start at max mag length (to maximize powder). Or if you don't mind single feeding, start .010" off lands. Run up to pressure with a chrono if you have one. Once pressure is observed, back off and load a few to see how it does.
Then seat deeper to tweak it

If you have worked up a load before and have an idea of how it likes the bullet seated that may be a start.

Otherwise I would start at max mag length (to maximize powder). Or if you don't mind single feeding, start .010" off lands. Run up to pressure with a chrono if you have one. Once pressure is observed, back off and load a few to see how it does.
My last time loading with Berger's was on a REM 700 25-06. It worked well with a jump of .076, but I never messed with the jump because I was getting 1/2 moa just in charge development. I'm thinking of trying that same jump to start.

I also plan to be hunting this rifle, so probably won't be loading singles.

I'm assuming you have a saami chamber.
I would load .010 off the lands work up untill you start to see pressure back off from there .5 and then work backwards .010 on your seating depth and fine tune .005.
You'll never get close to mag box length before you hit the lands with a saami chamber

I would load .010 off the lands work up untill you start to see pressure back off from there .5 and then work backwards .010 on your seating depth and fine tune .005.
You'll never get close to mag box length before you hit the lands with a saami chamber
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Ohhh, yeah it's a saami chamber

Doing the math on Bergers site with a 168 VLD hunting bullet seated at the boatail - Bearing surface junction on the brass at the neck- shoulder it would have a C.O.A.L of 3.417

I did the load development for my Grandson Bergara B14 HMR in 7 mm Rem Mag with the same bullet and powder combo. I suggest you start with the lowest charge and perform the Berger seating depth test for hunting bullets. It will eliminate a lot of guess work, save on components and time. In the Bergara, with the lowest charge, the seating depth test showed .050 was the most accurate. Using that setting, I ran the load up from Min to Max moving at .5gr increments. I found two nodes that were the most accurate and one that produced the same ES/SD consistently and settled on 68.0gr using CCI 250 primers. Just so happens, my Grandson called me this morning to tell me he got a buck with his rifle and load I developed for him, see the picture below.

Attachments

• 4738.jpeg
    4738.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 166
In my opionion bergers seating depth test may be alright for a " course " test at 100 yards but I can tell you that .030 at a time at 500 or beyond you will skip over optimal seating depth.
When you find your powder charge do a test yourself at .005 at a time the results will tell you what .005 will do

I did the load development for my Grandson Bergara B14 HMR in 7 mm Rem Mag with the same bullet and powder combo. I suggest you start with the lowest charge and perform the Berger seating depth test for hunting bullets. It will eliminate a lot of guess work, save on components and time. In the Bergara, with the lowest charge, the seating depth test showed .050 was the most accurate. Using that setting, I ran the load up from Min to Max moving at .5gr increments. I found two nodes that were the most accurate and one that produced the same ES/SD consistently and settled on 68.0gr using CCI 250 primers. Just so happens, my Grandson called me this morning to tell me he got a buck with his rifle and load I developed for him, see the picture below.
Wow, that's a beautiful and unique buck. Congrats to him. I truly appreciate all the help from everyone. My initial thought was it would be safest to do the jump work up at the lowest charge to minimize pressure.
thanks

In my opionion bergers seating depth test may be alright for a " course " test at 100 yards but I can tell you that .030 at a time at 500 or beyond you will skip over optimal seating depth.
When you find your powder charge do a test yourself at .005 at a time the results will tell you what .005 will do
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts