New LabRadar LX

Interesting that Labradar responded so quickly to the Garmin product. I look forward to hearing reports from the people that will be testing it. The Garmin product is going to be a tough act to follow.
Not quick enough.
LR had the best player in the game, and sat back and laughed all the way to the bank.
Not sure how long this has been in development, but they should have introduced this before the Garmin. Now, it just looks like they are scrambling trying to get the market share back after a new product came out and started wiping the floor with them. I am sure sales plummeted as I have seen about half the guys I know swap from LR to Garmin since November.

Good thing is, secondhand sales of used LRs sure make it easier for the guys wanting an upgrade from their Chrony to get into a LR cheap!

We have been searching for information on the new Labradar LX and not much out there. This usually happens when it is going to be a while prior production.
I did see that it is being demonstrated at the 2024 Shot Show so Labradar is coming out with a new Chronograph "Labradar LX"
This will be interesting to see how it compares with the Garmin Xero and if it has all (or) more options as the current LR.
Labradar may be late since Garmin XERO came out a few months ago, but like the old saying goes "Good things come to those that wait".

I noticed, just a minute ago, Midway has the old Labrador priced at 499.95. The Garmin Xero is out of stock, but they are sitting at 599.99, for 100.00 more the Garmin is better deal, in my eyes.

"Like new" LabRadar units with all the extra bells & whistles are selling for $350-$400. I've seen units without all the accessories listed for $300. That's an awful good deal for anyone that would rather not drop $600plus (tax - shipping) for a Garmin.

Infinition the company behind the Lab Radar and Guy Desbiens are good people. They are industry leaders on the military side for providing radar velocity systems. Think Laboratory RADARs, Artillery and Mortar fire RADARS, Tank MV RADAR Systems etc.

Not quick enough.
LR had the best player in the game, and sat back and laughed all the way to the bank.
Not sure how long this has been in development, but they should have introduced this before the Garmin. Now, it just looks like they are scrambling trying to get the market share back after a new product came out and started wiping the floor with them. I am sure sales plummeted as I have seen about half the guys I know swap from LR to Garmin since November.

Good thing is, secondhand sales of used LRs sure make it easier for the guys wanting an upgrade from their Chrony to get into a LR cheap!

I can tell you he wasn't sitting back or laughing. Guy takes RADAR systems very seriously and is well known for his expertise in the field.

What I will say is that this is great for all of us. Competition will help launch future improvements for sure. This can only benefit us all to have 4 players now in this field.

I have a LabRadar unit. After an initial learning curve, it has worked very well for me.

I am very interested in the Garmin unit because it will measure velocities above 3900fps, which is the limit for the LabRadar device. The Garmin's ease of setup (little-to-no aiming required) and reliability (folks report that it pretty much never misses a shot or false triggers) would be welcome features, too. Reports are that the Garmin unit works great just by pointing it downrange with no precise aiming required.

Looking at the photo of the new LabRadar unit, I see a little aiming tube on top of it. This is making it look like the unit is sensitive to being aimed correctly, which brings back bad memories of the original Labradar chronograph. I carry and mount an old Weaver scope to my Labradar so that I can be sure it is aimed correctly - more things to carry, more steps to get the thing in operation. That LabRadar went so long without any improvements, and now the proposed new unit still needs a janky aiming device is not filling me with great confidence that the new LabRadar is going to be much of an improvement over the old LabRadar. I hope I am pleasantly surprised, though.

JMHO

IMG_5206-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I have a LabRadar unit. After an initial learning curve, it has worked very well for me.

I am very interested in the Garmin unit because it will measure velocities above 3900fps, which is the limit for the LabRadar device. The Garmin's ease of setup (little-to-no aiming required) and reliability (folks report that it pretty much never misses a shot or false triggers) would be welcome features, too. Reports are that the Garmin unit works great just by pointing it downrange with no precise aiming required.

Looking at the photo of the new LabRadar unit, I see a little aiming tube on top of it. This is making it look like the unit is sensitive to being aimed correctly, which brings back bad memories of the original Labradar chronograph. That LabRadar went so long without any improvements, and now the proposed new unit still needs a janky aiming device is not filling me with great confidence that the new LabRadar is going to be much of an improvement over the old LabRadar.

JMHO
So this comes down to range. You can have a wide gate radar with short range, or you can have a small gate radar with longer range. Both have advantages and disadvantages. It will be really nice to see how the difference and capabilities of what is to come plays out. I know both companies are already working on the next generation and this is a great time to be in the shooting game.

Not quick enough.

My one son is going to be lucky. My other son is close and so we'll share the new chony, when I get it. So there two winner'a and one loser. "ME" I get to pay twice. 🥹

I asked some questions and got some answers so here you go. I am just simply trying to help everyone get questions answered so please note these are from the people at LR and not from me.

1) The LabRadar LX has a beam of 32 degrees.
2) It runs about 6 hours on constant use, and 10 with off/on use.
3) The original will remain in production alongside the LX so both will still be available.
4) The new LX unit does not do long range tracking like the original unit. Think inside 20 yards etc based on bullet size etc etc.
5) No trade in on the old units.
6) The LabRadar LX is made in Canada.
7) Shipping will be around early April.
8) It has been in development for more than 18 months now, and field testing for more than 6 months.

Interesting info on the Labradar LX. I know it is just a brief description, but it sounds quite similar to the Garmin Xero. I am wondering what makes the Labrador people think folks are going to buy their product over the Garmin unit, which will have been on the market 6 months before the new Labradar product is release.

Interesting info on the Labradar LX. I know it is just a brief description, but it sounds quite similar to the Garmin Xero. I am wondering what makes the Labrador people think folks are going to buy their product over the Garmin unit, which will have been on the market 6 months before the new Labradar product is release.
Only time will tell. You have the Shotscope, Caldwell Velociradar, FX, and a number of others as well. By my count I am aware of 8 different consumer radars already out or soon to be out. The technology shift this is so much fun!