New ideas for short action rem 700 in Boyd's stock

oldfamily

New ideas for short action rem 700 in Boyd\'s stock

Was thinking of a short action project using the Ross Thumbhole stock. Question is how much barrel will these stocks be able to free float. Barrel contour would not be any smaller than a #5. Rig would be mostly my yote and target shooting gun. Have talked to Kirby just that I can not make up my mind for as far as caliber. Like the idea of the 6/284, just like the barrel life of a 22/250. I guess I need to know how much barrel I can get away with this kind of set up. Was thinking of the 30 in Lilja. Thanks Oldfamily

Re: New ideas for short action rem 700 in Boyd\'s stock

You can use a 6-foot long 1-inch diameter barrel in the Rem. 700 shorties. The receiver can take it.

But the stock may not. There's gonna be a lot of pressure pulling the rear stock screw up with all that weight leveraging on the front of the receiver.

You could use a Winchester 70 action; their receivers are almost three times stiffer and rigid than Remingtons. And the 70's flat bottom at the front supports heavier barrels better than round ones do. Plus the 70's have two 1/4-inch stock screws holding the receiver's back end in the stock instead of only one in the 700.

[ QUOTE ]
You can use a 6-foot long 1-inch diameter barrel in the Rem. 700 shorties. The receiver can take it.

But the stock may not. There's gonna be a lot of pressure pulling the rear stock screw up with all that weight leveraging on the front of the receiver.

You could use a Winchester 70 action; their receivers are almost three times stiffer and rigid than Remingtons. And the 70's flat bottom at the front supports heavier barrels better than round ones do. Plus the 70's have two 1/4-inch stock screws holding the receiver's back end in the stock instead of only one in the 700.

[/ QUOTE ]
BartB,
When I read this I did not know if you were trying to be funny so you could have another chapter in your comedy book or if you were being serious.
if you were trying to be funny I have got to give you congrats this is absolutely hilarious.
if you were serious this is the most rediculos statement I have ever read on LRH
I dont know if I'm witnessing comedy genius or a trainwreck but either way it is entertaining.
UB

One of my first barreling projects was a long barreled
6mm-06Ai, the barrel I used was a 30 Pac-Nor that started at 1.30"diameter at the shank for 5" long then tapered to .825" at the muzzel , when I bedded this rig I just bedded the barrel for the shank and the whole front of the action and left the rear of the action free floated , i used two small aluminum pillers to screw the triggerguard into. aside from dicking up the chamber by not using a flush and trying to make to deep of cutts the project worked out great the gun was consistant sub 3/4" gun with 75gr V-maxes at over 4000fps.

So personaly for a long heavy barrel like that I would just bed a good bit of the barrel to help support the load. Or use a full action supporting bedding block , I kinda like the floated action idea that the BR guys use

UncleB, go measure what I mentioned about receiver stiffness, if you know how. If you don't know how, that's fine by me but find someone who knows how and have them do either the static or dynamic measuring for you. Then believe the results.

I've measured 'em so I know the difference. So have others in the know.

[ QUOTE ]
UncleB, go measure what I mentioned about receiver stiffness, if you know how. If you don't know how, that's fine by me but find someone who knows how and have them do either the static or dynamic measuring for you. Then believe the results.

I've measured 'em so I know the difference. So have others in the know.

[/ QUOTE ]
I take it from your response that you were serious but still have the joke book in your back pocket.
1st off I will bet you cant find ONE credible gunsmith on this forum (Fiftydriver,Chris Matthews,Pete Lincoln and many others) that would even back one word of this dribble.
Every gunsmith I have ever dealt with wont put on longer than a 32" barrel without somekind of a barrel block device because the reciever cant handle it because of the stress even with the finest custom actions. you say a Rem shorty can handle a 6 foot barrel (1") this is VERY interesting (if not amusing and ponderous) but a model 70 being 3 times stronger than a 700. You are telling me you can put a 18 foot long barrel on a WIN action.!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude you need to back away from the hemp sober up and have a taste of the real world.
UB
Len ,I am sorry but I could not let the Junior or Naive readers of this forum believe this crap

[ QUOTE ]
Every gunsmith I have ever dealt with wont put on longer than a 32" barrel without somekind of a barrel block device because the reciever cant handle it because of the stress even with the finest custom actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

From another post to uncleB

[ QUOTE ]
Uncle B,

Personally, yes I thought it would need to be blocked but Bruce at BAT tells me it will handle that barrel. So did Dan Lilja so we will see

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go it was already answered in a previous post by a smith on here. talking about a 40 inch 1.75 diameter barrel in a bat action. The barrel its self weight @ 28-31 pounds.

Just a friendly reminder

d-a

d-a,
that was very witty and stand-up of you to have BartB's back,but I have never heard back to see if it worked and Bart is talking 72" to 216" from a factory Rem. and Win not 40" from the best action. at least you mixed in a little reality to the equation.
just a friendly reminder,
UB

Im going to be doing a short action gun in the near furture also.And I also seriously thought about the 6-284,but decided in favor of the 6mmAI.Ballistically very close to the 6-284 but hopefully with a little better barrel life.Its going to be more of a varmint gun than long range.Im building it to smoke 70-75 gr bullets for the dog towns and occasional coyote.Bought one of Liljas 3 groove 12" twist barrels that they now keep in stock,which is a Rem varmint contour (basically like the vssf or sendero contour).Itll will finish up to 27".I dont think I'd want it any longer for this cartridge,especially if I carry it for the occasional calling session.I'm having Kirby order the reamer for this in the very near future.Just havent decided whether I want to tight neck it or not.

[ QUOTE ]
... but a model 70 being 3 times stronger than a 700. You are telling me you can put a 18 foot long barrel on a WIN action.!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
UncleB, you're misquoting me. I said the 70 was about three times stiffer, not stronger. Read what I said again. There is a difference between "stronger" and "stiffer."

And read again; I didn't tell you anything about putting an 18-foot barrel on a Win. 70 receiver. But you shouldn't put an 18-foot barrel on a Winchester action unless it's really, really, really skinny.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts