New hunting scope

newmexkid

So, after several "heavy barrel" builds I am having a 280AI built with a barrel that will be .750 at the muzzle. The rifle will wear a scope with a max magnification of 14-16 power. I would like a scope that can handle the "real" world of hunting out West. Horseback use and lots of walking environment. I need a scope that will handle the "bumps" of hunting. Thanks for any suggestions. I am looking at $700-$1000.

VX-5HD 3-15x44. Great hunting scope for around $800. Just check around. I use the impact-29 reticle and have this setup on two of my hunting rigs. Very light weight and has been consistent/durable. I have fought with a Mark 4 for years and have no brand loyalty. This is just a great hunting scope and I try to give credit when due

I think the SHV 4x14 is around a grand. It's a great mid-priced scope with turrets. No turrets, see if you can find a Leica ER5 3x15. I own two and it's glass is frigging awesome.

I have the vx6 3-18x50 with CDS turrets. I didn't know if I'd like this scope but I am considering selling my NXS and getting another light scope similar to this leupold. I am really happy with the CDS and glass. Leica, SHV, Vx5, all seem to have a good rep.

I would suggest Steiner P4xi 4-16x56. It's bulky and more of a tactical scope, but it's a great low light scope w/illuminated reticle, ffp, build like a tank and Scott at CamerlandNY sells them for $799 shipped. Hard to beat at this price and features
Even if you don't get it you should give him a call and he'll take care of you

I love the SHV BUT the zero set is NOT positive, its mushy. Look at the Bushnell Forge, read some reviews, might work for you.
Lightweight scopes I have come to LOVE:
Swarovskis Z5, Z6
Any Leupolds
SHV
NX8

I would suggest Steiner P4xi 4-16x56. It's bulky and more of a tactical scope, but it's a great low light scope w/illuminated reticle, ffp, build like a tank and Scott at CamerlandNY sells them for $799 shipped. Hard to beat at this price and features
Even if you don't get it you should give him a call and he'll take care of you

I was on their site yesterday. I want a SFP scope.

The new Nightforce NX8 2.5 - 20 x 50. Very rugged FFP, mil/mil & if you wait a few months an Xmas tree reticle is coming. All reticles are illuminated.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.