New hunting rifle questions!

wbyfireman

I have about 1000-1200$ to spend on a new hunting rifle (already have optics, Sightron SIII 6-24X50) I am thinking about getting the Remington SPS 700 Long Range Hunter in 7MM Mag. Since this rifle runs about 650$ I was going to have the funds to bed it, true the action, and have a Timney trigger installed at the gun shop. Is this a good place to start, and is this money well spent?

I don't mind the extra few pounds the gun comes with so heavy barrel is not a problem. I am also beginning to reload so i will be able to get some good loads to run through it down the road also.

Would i be better off spending the money on a new stock? The stock is supposed to be an upgrade from the varmint stock they currently use and it is already pillar bedded.

Any suggestions, ideas, or comments would be appreciated!!

FWIW--This past hunting season here in Arizona every deer I glassed up with my 15X56 binos that presented a shot were between 480-890 yds. Just the nature of the beast in the high desert; and I was not able to take a shot because I did not have the confidence in my rifle. Thus tag soup for me. Hopefully this new setup along with practice gives me new hope next season!!

That is a great starting point, but may want to look for a Sendero or one of their Stainless models. The Sendero stocks are suppose to be pretty good. If you can find a used Sendero stock that would fit the SPS, then go that route.

Ditto. Just get a Sendero if you like the Model 700 and have it free floated and bedded and you should be off to the races.

For the price difference and quality difference in the Senderos and the SPS models you'll be way ahead in the long run.

For your application the 7mm Mag is a good choice, the 300wm would be an even better choice once you move out beyond 750. The higher BC's and energy from the heavier bullets really pays big dividends as the range increases.

I'll third the Senduro route. I would look into the Winchester coyote lite in 7 WSM. You get a good stock, great action and a medium-heavy barrel for a bit less than the Senduro.

I'll third the Senduro route. I would look into the Winchester coyote lite in 7 WSM. You get a good stock, great action and a medium-heavy barrel for a bit less than the Senduro.
Ya, when it comes to really nice short actions the Coyote and Coyote Outback are super nice.

I had to settle for the new all weather SS Synthetic Fl model though since I was hell bent on another 300wm but those Coyote models really had me tempted.

Thanks for the replies!! I am going to take a closer look at the Sendero!! Only thing is it will soak up all my spending money without the funds to bed the stock, true the action and have a new trigger installed.

why not savage??

I guess because I have always had success with remington,,,, something about their actions I guess, since im pretty new at the long range thing (not new to shooting by any means) I figured if the remington 700 action is good enough for our military snipers to protect our freedom with then its good enough for me to hunt with.
However Im pretty open at this point so Savage is with out a doubt an option. Im going to handle both shortly so im sure one will fit and feel better".

Well, now that your pulling Savage into the fray, I'm going to give a vote to the Savage. You should take a look at their SS rifles. They have a ton of stocks available if you don't the factory stock.

My suggestions:
Savage Arms

Savage Arms

Savage Arms

Savage Arms

Now, for stock upgrades, Stockade specializes in Savage rifle stocks. He makes a very good product. You can purchase a money saver model and finish it your self. Should you want a quicker delivered less expensive alternative, the Bell & Carlson stocks are good affordable aftermarket stocks. Had very good success with one on a build I did in a Savage action.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts