new rifle and a few questions

olympicmotors

I recently bought an accurized Remington 700 (300 win mag ) from Hill Country Rifles. I have been struggling with trying to accurize a Ruger Hawkeye ( also 300 win mag ), and have put it aside for now. I was probably dumb to just not buy something already worked over in the first place instead of thinking I could do it myself, but live and learn I guess.

I have not shot it yet and am going to the range probably next weekend if the weather is good. I have a couple of questions for everybody.

first: Do you have a mental "checklist" that you go through before you send each round downrange? such as 1. check the wind, 2. check the cant of the rifle, 3. check the parrallax, 4. safety off. etc .

second: I have read one of the problems I may have been having is I have been using a lead sled the last several times at the range. Do most of you just use sandbags front and rear?

Also: I have ordered quite a bit of cleaning accessories, like a good rod, jags, bore mops, etc.

third : I also bought Otis copper and carbon solvent and brushes. but I also bought some Wipeout bore cleaner that is supposed to just do it all if you let it sit overnight. Is Wipeout really as good as actually scrubbing your bore by hand ? That almost seems too easy.

Any opinions will be appreciated everybody, thanks

I recently bought an accurized Remington 700 (300 win mag ) from Hill Country Rifles. I have been struggling with trying to accurize a Ruger Hawkeye ( also 300 win mag ), and have put it aside for now. I was probably dumb to just not buy something already worked over in the first place instead of thinking I could do it myself, but live and learn I guess.

I have not shot it yet and am going to the range probably next weekend if the weather is good. I have a couple of questions for everybody.
They have a very fine reputation so you should be well pleased. Talk to them about factory ammo and load data for their recommendations.

first: Do you have a mental "checklist" that you go through before you send each round downrange? such as 1. check the wind, 2. check the cant of the rifle, 3. check the parrallax, 4. safety off. etc .
Yes. Once parallax is properly set for the given range though no need to mess with it again until you change ranges.

second: I have read one of the problems I may have been having is I have been using a lead sled the last several times at the range. Do most of you just use sandbags front and rear?
Yep, or a bipod on the front and monopod in the rear or bipod plus sandbag at the rear.

Also: I have ordered quite a bit of cleaning accessories, like a good rod, jags, bore mops, etc.

third : I also bought Otis copper and carbon solvent and brushes. but I also bought some Wipeout bore cleaner that is supposed to just do it all if you let it sit overnight. Is Wipeout really as good as actually scrubbing your bore by hand ? That almost seems too easy.
I use foaming bore cleaner. The less you rod it the better off you'll be.

Follow HCR's break in procedure to the letter though if you want the best performance out of the rifle.

For cleaning I have settled on Hoppes elite foaming cleaner. I squirt a little in my bore guide (another must have), swab it thru, let it sit for 5 minutes then run a couple dry patches thru. Usually a couple times and it's good. For copper I use Barnes CR10 or Montana Extreme. I always run a final swab with a light amount of Hoppes #9.
NOTE: Be careful with the Hoppes elite as it will remove blueing. I found out the hard way it will also remove duracoat on the bottom side of the muzzle brake if you forget to wipe it off. :rolleyes:

You will develop your own checklist over time. Wind, sight picture, parallax, cheek weld, cant, breathing, squeeze.

I nearly always shoot with a bipod and a rear sandbag as this is what I will most likely use in the field. Sometimes with a Sinclair front rest and rear bag.

Hill Country has a great reputation. Have fun and keep us updated. gun)

I agree with everything above. Good Shooting comes from being consistant. You want to do everything the same each time. You can youtube some shooting positions and how to shoot from a bench. When I go to shoot...once my rifle is setup on either Sinclair front rest ND rear bag or bipod and rear bag...then I press the rifle into my shoulder and lower my head/cheap against the rifle stock comb. You want the same shoulder pressure (firm but light) along with the same cheap weld each and every shot.

Read a lot about rifle cleaning. Many people wear their bores out by cleaning the wrong way. The advice above is sound advice! Harsh solvents may be needed once in a while to remove heavy copper fouling which is ok but just don't leave it in the barrel long. 5-10 minutes is all that's needed. Order yourself some nylon brushes so you don't worry about hurting the inside of the barrel. And use a bore guide!

adjust the trigger, mount a good scope. clean it. shoot. i only shoot off a sand bag rear and a pedestal . the bipod or lead sled induce errors for me.

+1 for Bigeclipse's cleaning reply. A Lucas bore guide will save your barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts