New Hornady 6.5 PRC

You stated you have a Rem receiver.... Which is typically .550 bolt face, so you're good that way.
6.5 SS is a 7 SAUM necked down to a 6.5 with an Ackley shoulder, this allows for longer heavier bullets as well. They are impressive!!
Go to www.shermanwildcats.com to look at comparisons

If I am reading this correctly
I wouldn't need to swap out the .532" bolt face for the saum or Sherman shorts?
and where does the 6.5 SS or max come in compared to the saum? Do you have any comparison pics or numbers. I'm wanting to run 140+ up to 156 and what is best twist for this

The Sherman shorts are modified saum cases that use a std magnum bolt face.
The SST (M) is shortened, body taper removed, longer neck and maintains the 30 degree shoulder. It will run at 2.9" coal with a 156 at 3100' no problem.
The SS (R) is the same only a 40 degree shoulder and will out run the saum and fits in a short action.3150+
The Max (L) is a full length saum with taper removed, 40 degree shoulder and 77+ grain capacity. It will run a 156 well past 3200' but needs about 3.1"" for top performance. An 8 twist is preferred for the 156
IMG_20190710_204425265.jpg

Awesome stuff there, exactly what I'm looking for. I originally did like the idea of the PRC but wanted to step away from the Creedmoor realm by a great deal as the talk of Creedmoor irritates me and I will not have anything to do with the CM bandwagon so I want something that will be in a totally different ballpark than the CM.
so it sounds like the max may be the right ticket for this train. The 6.5 will allow me to use it for a yote fun as we can use up to 6.5mm cal here in Michigan for yotes. Plus the occasional target gun and the occasional deer rifle too. I don't have anything in between 22-250 and my 280 rems and this will fit perfectly but also I wanted the max performance for a 6.5 without going overbore such as 26 Nosler which I don't want. The issue is I don't want to discard the 7 rem mag so I may start out with a new build now I'm thinking about it.

It's been a while for any activity on this thread and didn't want to start a new one but I had some thoughts.
I have a 700 Long Range SS in 7mm rem mag. I was thinking of possibly changing this to a 6.5mm (something) not exactly sure. I want a heavier 6.5 to rebarrel to and I've narrowed it down to either a
6.5 saum (gap)
Or
6.5 PRC
I want to keep the 26" barrel length and if I stay with the long action I won't have to worry about c.o.a.l. So my question is which would be the better route without changing a lot?
I know the PRC is same bolt face as the rem mag but would it be much work to change it to fit the saum bolt face diameter? My reason to consider the saum is I want maximum performance out of this 6.5. Would it not be worth the trouble going with the saum and what will be required for that or should I just go with the PRC and what will it require to go this route? Thanks

Could also consider the 264 Win Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.