New guy with 1st build

KSB209

Hey everyone - This is my 1st post after lurking for a long while and hoping for some expert advise (or opinions).

I am working up a new rifle from GA Precision and would like some feedback. Many of you seem to be VERY knowledgeable on the 30 cal platform so hear it goes.

I am trying to decide between a 308, 300 win, and 300 WSM. I have read a lot but have no real world experience with the 300WSM. My question is would you use a 308 to take mid size game out to say 300-400 yards vs. using the magnum platform?

Ballistics of the mags are much higher/better 300+ yards out but barrel life in mag loads is maybe 25% of what you get from a 308 and I plan on shooting this gun from a bench a lot too. Hornady list 308, 168 grain A-max @ 300 yard with 2160fps/1742 pounds vs the 300 win with 165 grain Interbond @300 yards 2617/2505. As we all now the Win Mags have a lot more power but is it necessary to take game such as deer and elk out to 300+ yards.

My build rifle will be my go to gun for hunting and bench and I am try to get the best of both worlds packed into 1 gun...well for now anyways. What would you do?

I am not trying to start another debate about which round is better or more accurate because that has been beaten to death. Just if you were going to buy a new rifle what round would you chamber it in for my use?

1 more question. If reloading what is easier to do the WinMag or the WSM? I know one is belted and one is not and does that make a difference when reloading?

I am not trying to start another debate about which round is better or more accurate because that has been beaten to death. Just if you were going to buy a new rifle what round would you chamber it in for my use?

1 more question. If reloading what is easier to do the WinMag or the WSM? I know one is belted and one is not and does that make a difference when reloading?

I am by no means an expert but I was in the same position as you so I have asked lots of questions and have done a lot of research on this and will give you some input.

For what you have described...the 308 is the way to go. Less recoil, cheaper ammo... both factory and reloading...longer barrel life. 308 will easily kill out to 400 yards and a good bit further...some will say 600+ yards. For me...anything inside 400 yards and a 308 is the ticket. If you were looking to stretch out to 500+ yards then id probably lean towards a 300 mag.

Now 300wsm and win mag have nearly identical performance with bullets up to 180grains. Above that and I would definitely be looking at the win mag over the WSM for case capacity. Also, bras will be cheaper and easier to find over the WSM. The WSM will typically provide for a lighter/shorter rifle, which some people care about. I actually owned a 300wsm and it shot awesome....BUT reloading 200grainers was difficult due to case length and you couldnt go bigger. Plus factory ammo is a lot more readily available for the 300win mag if you ever needed it. This is just my two cents.

PS the belted part of the win mag is a NON issue for reloading. Some would say it allowed for more chance of case separation (look that up if you dont know what it means) BUT many have developed techniques to avoid this and there are new dies out there which can actually correct the issue. In the days of old...you were lucky to get 3-4 loadings with your bras and 300 win mag, if you follow proper loading technique you can get that upwards of 7 loadings.
Also worth a note... I loaded for my WSM...that sucker would stretch the primer pockets something awfull only after 2-3 loadings and made them useless. Not sure if this was due to my rifle or something BUT I never had any other pressure signs.

Rifle that will be used to punch paper from the bench a lot and medium sized game at medium ranges: 308 win

Long range hunting rifle for large game: Either 300 magnum listed will work very well.

Unless you want a muzzle brake, a 300 win or 300 WSM will beat your shoulder up at the bench after about 20 rounds. You can shoot the 308 all day long

I have a 7mm for hunting and a 308 for bench now. Half of me wants to just build the 7mm into the gun I want. It is a Rem 700 but new toys are more fun. I can buy the new gun this year and have a project next year with the 7mm.

My 308 is just a basic Savage fp10 and it shoots! Funny how some of the cheapest guns out there will outperform guns that cost 2-3 times as much. The GA Precision that I am looking at has been calling my name for a year now and I just "have to have it." Deciding on the caliber of a $4k gun is tough!

... The GA Precision that I am looking at has been calling my name for a year now and I just "have to have it." Deciding on the caliber of a $4k gun is tough!

You certainly have a discriminating taste in rifles. I built a tactical rifle earlier this year that's based pretty well on the GA FBI HRT Rifle - with a Rem. 700 LA in .284 on a heavier Bartlen R5 barrel but, of course, it was about $1,500 less (including scope) but I don't imagine GA Precision includes that Schmidt & Bender scope on the rifle anyhow :D

Ya the glass is defiantly going to have to match the quality of the rifle and they are not cheap either. Still haven't decided on that yet either. Once I have the camber nailed down I will have about 10 months to think about the glass before the rifle comes.

So what do you all think is easier to load at home 300 win mag or the WSM? I think that is really going to help me make a decision on what caliber to get. Hoping for a long winter so I can start practicing reloads but it will be tough with duck season to find some time to reload.

Ya the glass is defiantly going to have to match the quality of the rifle and they are not cheap either. Still haven't decided on that yet either. Once I have the camber nailed down I will have about 10 months to think about the glass before the rifle comes.

So what do you all think is easier to load at home 300 win mag or the WSM? I think that is really going to help me make a decision on what caliber to get. Hoping for a long winter so I can start practicing reloads but it will be tough with duck season to find some time to reload.

I think both are just as easy to load at home but read up on the WSMs. Although they are great, they can limit you on powder/bullet combo with larger bullets. I was hard pressed loading a 200grain accubond in my 300wsm without compressed loads. I dont remember which powders but almost every powder charge was a compressed load for almost all powders listed, especially when getting to max charges. Personally, if you are going to hand load, i think the 300win mag gives you larger range of powders and bullets with its larger case capacity. The performance between the two is very close with the edge going to the win mag, but...the WSM will also use a litte less powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.