new guy to sight

jb1

What a great sight lots of great info. I have been raised around guns my whole life (29 years just a young guy)thoght that I had it all dialed in until a buddy of mine talked me into looking into long range shooting. Instead of just going out and doing it I have done alot of research and found out that man do i have alot to learn. We were always raised that if you want a good accurate huntig rifle buy a browning or a weatherby. Through my research I have found that this is not exactly true. Currently I own a browming a-bolt (synthetic) chambered in .280 and a weatherby mark-V (synthetic) in .300 weatherby. I hand load all of my rounds and get descent accuracy with them. What i would like to know is should I try to build somethig or just work with what I have got.

You have some reasonable firearms there BUT the biggie is what scopes you have access to. Cheapest and slickest way to get into this is to get a Bushnell Elite 3200 fixed 10x Tactical - put it on the .280 and start to shoot a lot.
Good luck with your plans, there are lots of great guys who will steer you in the right direction.
Me, I would get a .308 Win. rifle as a training/learning tool. Heavy barrel Win, Rem. or Savage and shoot as much as I could afford the time and ammo.

I would say work w/what you've got until your 100% sure what you need (and want of course) and can afford it. Going cheap to start w/will only wind up costing you more money in the end.

Oh, and shoot the heaviest for caliber bullet w/the highest bc you can stabalize for long range work. Speed is not the name of the game here. It's accuracy and consistancy.

As far as scopes go I have always shot with leupold vx-2 3-9. For my birthday my wife went out and bought me a nikon buckmaster(bless her heart). I was a little unsure but it was a gift and for the money she spent it will do for a while. Optics are not bad and I can start to learn drop tables with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.