new guy needs help

Wi whitetail

i'm 15 years old and just getting into long range shooting. i have shot my dad's 22-250 out to about 300 yards, but only at paper, and will have an oppurtunity to use rifles during deer season this year because of cwd. i want to buy a quality rifle to use for this deer season. i might get a shot out to about 500 yards and as close as 10 yards. i work hard putting up hay in the summer and feeding cows the rest of the time so i don't want to buy something i'll regret. i have had my eye on either a remington 700 vs in 308, or a savage 12FLV in 308. any help regarding choice of rifle or ammo is greatly appreciated.
thanks

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction, If you want less recoil, the 260 will do you good.

Do you handload?

If not, black hills or federal gold medal factory ammo for the 308 is great stuff and those match kings actually do work on deer.

260 would be better off with handloads or good factory 140gn loads.

JB

i had a savage 12 in .300 wsm. the thing shot great! So good in fact that a guy offered me 1200 dollars for it 2 weeks after i got it
grin.gif

Wi W
I'd second the Savage 12,(prefer the bvss myself), They seem to have very good accuracy right out of the box and are a little less expensive than the Remingtons. (leaves more $$$ for good optics)
I think the 308 is probably your best all around choice for caliber as there is a whole slew of factory ammo available.
Chris

thanks everyone for your input. i do in fact handload and am interested in what type of bullet i should use that will stay together at close range, but perform reliably at longer range?
thanks again

Wi W
Which ever caliber you choose try the Nosler Accubond. I shot seven whitetail last year from 40 to 340 yds. they preformed perfectly in my 300 WM.
Chris

Wi,

A savage 12bvss, I think youd be alot happier with a laminated, savage make *** synethetic stocks, in 308, would be a great 500 yard gun, top it off with a good nikon, leupold, high end busnell, and you have your self a 1/2moa gun, you might also want to get into reloading, for about $200 you can start making very good handloads, $20 a box for factory really adds up.

Brian

i've done a little more looking, and the savage 12blvss doesn't come in 308, but i have seen choate sniper stocks for savage short actions. does anyone have any experience with these stocks? if so i would appreciate any input on their strong and weak points
thanks

Suggest that you consider the Winchester M-70 Stealth in .308 also. Recently revised to the Stealth ll but no doubt some original Stealths on the shelves. They are amazing rifles out of the box. The new Stealth ll is very nice, about like a VS only some better features. Have seen some brand new Stealths consistently shooting sub 1/2 minute, that is nice accuracy for a factory barrel. Rem. VS and VLS are also excellent shooters after a bit of work.

Nothing wrong with Savage for accuracy, but they are Savages... Check out the Tactical model with the McMillan A-3 stock, very nice rig.

Hey Wi Iknow that this may be off the subject but wheredo you live? I am new to this to. I am also 15 and a student at DDHS. Reply me back at one of my topics that I started.

I like the feel of the chaote sniper stocks but, dont know that I would enjoy hunting with one, unless you are sitting in a stand. They are more confortable bench resting, plus they only come in the bull barrel I do beleve (correct me if I'm wrong) which is just a little more weight to be carring up and down the hills. Just my opinion but I love the looks and feel of the stocks. Good look on your choice. By the way I own a 111 30-06 sav and love it.

thanks again everyone. i have done a little more looking, and found a site that sells nice looking wood stocks for a reasonable price, but i have read that wood swells and shrinks with the changing humidity which affects your accuracy. is this true?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts