Another guy needing help

so i was looking at the r700, in left hand in the sps its almost $600, i can get a stainless tikka t3 in left hand for a little more than that. Someone told me browning would be good but i was told browning is really just nice fit and finish. I have heard different things about each one, negative and positive. not sure what im going to do

I have had the Tikka in a 300wsm. I hated that gun. Even thought it shot the biggest deer of my life (170), I could not get that gun to shoot. I tried every bullet and powder combo I could think of and still not go. I even went as far as to send my barrel to David Tubbs for a full meal deal. It was a little better after that but not much. I hated the fact that your max seating depth was the size of the clip. If you wanted a single shot rifle, then you could seat your bullets at whatever length you wanted, but if you wanted a follow up shot or two, you needed to seat the bullet to the clip size so the shells would fit in the clip.

In my opinion, there is no gun more accurate out of the box than a 700. There are tons accessories that they make for them and the rifles are tried and true. To me it is a no brainer, but of course that is only my opinion.

The Tikka will be the best of the rifles you mentioned. Aftermarket for these rifles are definitely growing. I am however a Savage fan. I like the idea of being able to build my own rifle in the basement with some hand tools. You could also call Savage and build your own. You could order a left handed action, and put it on a stock of your choice. You could even pick your own barrel contour. You should be able to do this for $600-800. Depending on what you pick in components. I have been very satisfied with my Savages, and so has my cousin. I know a lot of other guys out there feel the same way. Hope I made this decision more confusing!:D

Tank

I am the other guy needing some help, MustangP51D. I have an older Savage 110 DL Series H. What stock and trigger could be used with this long action rifle? I have also been looking at a Weaver Eliete 2.5X10 50mm with 30mm barrel. Does have MOA 1/4, adjust for elevation and windage.

Thx for the insight,

P51

Any stock will work that fits that particular model rifle. Stockys stocks is a great place to look. They have everything your looking for.

I have Timney triggers and love them. It is all in what price you have picked out and what type of accuracy your after.

I'm a big Savage guy. I suggest the Rifle Basix trigger. You may want to look into Stockade Stocks. He specializes in Savage rifles. He can answer all your questions about Savages also. Hope this helps you out.

The caliber question is one that only you can answer. If you are recoil sensitive, I would consider a muzzle break. Craig Boddington said, " Choose the biggest caliber you can shoot accurately". Which means no flinching of course.

If your looking for a long ranger, the 338 RUM or the 300 RUM are pretty awesome. Brass is reasonable and there are lots of guys in this forum that have tons of great knowledge.

I have the collection of Ultra Mags and love each one of them like my children. They all shoot very, very well. The 7mm ultra, 300 ultra, 338 ultra, are .25 group at 300 yards. I do not have muzzle breaks on any of them.

Good luck on your quest!!

you would have to be from north dakota to be this tough, i am inpressed you shoot those big boomers with no brakes but I am a wuss and hate recoil

The 7, 300, 338 RUMS do not kick as much as the 375 RUM. That one hurts alittle. Thanks to the guys at Caldwell with the invention of the lead sled, otherwise it would be a tough day at the range.

Thanks for the compliments guys. It is usually a interesting day at the range when I walk up to the bench. The guys that know me put ear plugs in under their muffs.

Rem700, (NOT THE WALMART ONE! that's a one time use, & throw away gun, not buildable).

The first magnum I ever bought was from Walmart. Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag Walmart special. Picked it up from Wally world in 2003 and it's still the most accurate gun I own. So I'd beg to differ on the not buildable part. Heck my Walmart gun will outshoot my Senderos and I have two Rem 700 Senderos one in 300win mag and one in 22-250Rem LOL

All my Rem 700's are great shooters. But I am really loving the savages too, I own 3 already! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts