Yet another new guy

WRO

I am looking at getting a little more into the Long Range shooting and hunting. I am currently thinking about getting a Sako TRG-42 in a 300 win mag. Any thoughts on this rifle? I know its a little heavy, but I am more looking for a long range plinker and will probably use it during black bear season locally. I have a 30-06 with just a standard vx-2 Leupy on it that I have kills out to 512 yards with. I am just looking for a little more. I was thinking 300 win, because brass is inexpensive and the barrell life should be good. I will most likely either put a Nightforce or Leupold mark 4 scope on it. Any suggestions other suggestions out there?

For long range shooting you need to be useing heavy for the caliber, high BC, bullets. That means a fast twist and the larger the case the better. If you reload and know enough to load for Wildcats they are the way to go, but most reloaders should not load for them. I personally like smaller cal. bullets for 2 main reasons. 1 it takes less powder to push them and 2 they don`t ricochet as bad. But even with lite bullets in a .300 mag. you should have no trouble on groundhog size game out past 600 yrds.

I am more wondering about long range knockdown power beyond 600 yards. I know the 300 will sling 220 grain bergers pretty well, but is it worth the difference to get a 338 lapua mag. This rifle comes in both calibers. Also is the TRG-42 a good choice for a long range shooter?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.