New guy, 280ai

dreed4

First time on here, trying to make some posts to get approval on things.

Been an archery hunter mainly for a while, starting to explore some on the long range.

I just purchased a Christensen Ridgeline in 280 ai with a Maven RS3 5-30x50. I've got some 160 grain accubonds and nosler brass. What powders have you guys liked best? I've got some 4831 and 4350 right now that I'm going to start with.

I'm working with the Hornady 150gr CX bullet right now. Size wise it's probably a touch bigger than the 160 accubond with a rather long bearing surface. I'm developing a load with Ramshot Hunter. I went as far as I was comfortable with it yesterday and was able to hit 3080 fps out of a 24" barrel.

I also worked with the 169 Hammer Hunter with H1000 and was able to get good velocity and accuracy up to about 2900 if I recall. I think I posted it to one of the Hammer Hunter Load Data threads on the site here.

Last edited:
Welcome from Tennessee. I'm just now starting my 280AI journey. I'm also starting load development on the 160AB with Peterson brass. H4831SC has been my go to so far for this pill. I can't find an adequate supply of RL23 or 26 yet. Keep us posted.

My go to powder is H4831SC for the 280 Ackley. I have only tried hammer hunters 155 and 169. I would keep the H4350 for something else, it's harder to find and usually cost more. I had a Christensen 280 Ackley but never reloaded for it. Nosler 160 accubonds shot the best but the 140gr Etips were a close second. I ended up building a new 280 Ackley before I acquired all the reloading components.
Good luck with your new rifle,
Jason