New From John Day, OR

GunsnFitness

Hi all,

My name is Jake. I'm a young man who's been passionate about shooting his entire life. Growing up in small town eastern Oregon, shooting, hunting, and fishing were just a way of life for me. My father is a marksmanship instructor so you could literally say it's in my blood. Now that I'm out and on my own and have secured steady income and stability I hope to use this site to feed and fuel my hobby of long range shooting and rifle building. That's about it on me, (hoping this earns me the right to post, I have some stuff I want to move/swap!). If you are ever in EO and need some local insight on the Beulah or Murderers Creek units I'm your guy! Thanks all!

Hello! I might have to take you up on that-I've got a bunch of Oregon points.
Sounds good! I grew up here and have hunted all my life in those two units. I work as a Wild Land Fire Fighter in the Summer as well so I've covered a fair amount of country in the area. Plus side for you, knowing a local can go a long ways around here. (Small town, and people can still be small minded about "outsiders" wanting to hunt in the area). But if you know a name in the area it can help!

Nice part of Oregon you come from. Welcome. I used to hunt Fossil and Beulah.
We own land in the Beulah unit so I can always default to an LOP tag there, but I've wanted to hunt the Fossil unit for a long time. You can kill some big bucks and big bulls up in the rim rocks there. Buddies of mine do it every year.

We own land in the Beulah unit so I can always default to an LOP tag there, but I've wanted to hunt the Fossil unit for a long time. You can kill some big bucks and big bulls up in the rim rocks there. Buddies of mine do it every year.
In Fossil hunted just west of 207 and north of the nation forest. Seen some nice herds of elk bed down in rim rock and pine areas. In Beulah always hunted north of Harper in the Indian Creek area. Have seen a couple very good bucks taken there.... I spent most of my time in the Ochocos and Maury Mts. now.

Well I guess I just have enough confidence in my own abilities to get the job done, new people in my spot or not! I'm not worried about it. But thanks for your concern!
Have at it bud, I am sure that everyone in that small town would love to have more out of town competition trying to get draw tags.

In Fossil hunted just west of 207 and north of the nation forest. Seen some nice herds of elk bed down in rim rock and pine areas. In Beulah always hunted north of Harper in the Indian Creek area. Have seen a couple very good bucks taken there.... I spent most of my time in the Ochocos and Maury Mts. now.
Nice! You're on the north end of the unit there where I'm mostly on the south. Are you another fellow Oregonian? I mostly hunt in the wilderness and NF around Seneca and Prairie City.

Yea I'm an Oregonian. Always wanted to hunt the Strawberries in that area. Just don't know if I'm tuff enough these days. Getting a little older, thats why I hang out in the Maury's. LOL

Hi Jake! I'm in western Washington, my family and I usually head down towards Crane/Burns to shoot Rats, but it is starting to get a little to "commercialized" and crowded for us. I was tasked with locating a new area and am trying to narrow it down. Are there any places out towards John Day for group of respectful shooters to shoot rats for free or low cost? Can anyone else point me in the right direction? It doesn't have to be an exact place.....I'm planning on going on a scouting trip some weekend to look for places and talk to locals, but I can't cover much of the Eastside in a day!
Thanks for any help someone could provide!

Don't know about rat shooting..but if you circle the mountain a little to the south you might be able to shoot up some fossilized critters too.....lol....
But if you're making it a fun trip..make sure to hit the JohnDayFossil
Museum.....if you sweet talk the ladies there they might pull out the actual fossilized head of Nimravus.....got a few pictures with my boy holding it......beware..it is heavy...and has teeth....considered endangered species too............

Thanks 26Reload! I'm bringing the boys and that sounds like something they would love to see.....although I can already see the yard dug up from them looking for fossils at home.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.