New built input required

Same bolt head as your current set up, the magazine is long enough that you can sit pretty much anything where ever you want, similar case capacity to 270, excellent brass available in 3 or 4 of the best brass makers
You make a very good point. I don't I have enough magazine to seat HH bullets. Decisions decisions

My Son and I have hunted for years with rifles chambered in both .270 Winchester and the 6.5-284. They're great choices and you can't go wrong either way. You started off saying you were looking for a cartridge that's "wildly available" and of course if you want a factory-ammo cartridge you can get in any backwoods hardware store the .270 is it and the 6.5-284 isn't. If you roll your own . . . we've had wonderful results with both.

While we've never had noticeable trouble with the Norma cartridge feeding, as some report with its rebated rim, I feel the time-proven .270 feeds smoother and magazines will sometimes hold an extra shell with it. If I was re-barreling, and I actually do have a similar project in mind soon, I'd stick with the .270 and just install a 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist to take advantage of the newer high-BC bullets available.

In our limited experiences, with Elk and big Mule Deer, the old standby .270 Winchester just lets the air out of their sails a bit quicker. I can't say why that's so, as it sure doesn't look any better on paper. My Grandfather hunted with the grand old cartridge so, to me, there's also a sentimental aspect involved.

Whatever way you go, happy hunting Sir!

SF -

Hello all,
I have a Tikka T3 chambered in 270 Win that I want to rebarrel and build a rifle suitable for sheep hunting. The caliber has to be something wildly available (no wildcats), I fancy 280AI and 6.5mm-284 but I do prefer 280AI because I can easily shoot the 155gr Hammer. I want a 22in carbon barrel with a muzzle brake. I don't chase velocity but I do like to get around 3000 fps so I don't have to worry much about bullet drop. If you have a similar build please share details, also being a Tikka I worry about the short clip.
I need your thoughts and input please.
As you know already tikkas suck with true LA cartridges.
I have a tikka 6.5 saum and really like it,
Tikkas are awesome with short mag chamberings throated out.

I'd sell your action and get another with a magnum bolt face and build a 7 saum or 7 wsm.
I'm getting over 3000 fps with 180s in my custom throated 7wsm from a 22" barrel, recoil is mild like my 6.5.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.